Skiing and International Schools

ExpatinAsia99

Skiing and International Schools

Post by ExpatinAsia99 »

I'm starting to compile a list of international schools/cities that are close enough to ski resorts for weekend day trips. So far I have:

Chile - Nido de Aguilas - La Parva, Valle Nevado, El Colorado, Portillo - 1hr to 2.5hrs driving from Santiago

Bulgaria - Anglo American School Sofia - Borovets, Bankso - 1.5 to 2.5hrs driving from Sofia

Romania - American International School Bucharest - Sinaia, Poiana Braşov - 1.5 to 2.5hrs driving from Bucharest

Japan - Tokyo schools - Gala Yuzawa - 75min bullet train from Tokyo Station

I'm hoping for input from others in compiling this list. Any suggestions that I can add? Switzerland? Other European cities?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Switzerland.
Rutabaga

Re: Skiing and International Schools

Post by Rutabaga »

Austria.
MyLifeOverseas

Post by MyLifeOverseas »

Check out the International School of Bern in Switzerland. If you are a ski enthusiast you might be interested in their winter school schedule. The whole school has ski school on Fridays. Not for me, more of a beach person myself. But my husband interviewed there a few years back and as much as I am a non-winter person, I thought for the right person that would be a dream job!! Just not my dream job, instead more of a nightmare. As long as you know yourself and what makes you happy!!
ExpatinAsia99

Post by ExpatinAsia99 »

Tashkent International School in Uzbekistan seems to be close to some skiing opportunities. Any accessibility/terrain insight from skiers who have worked at this school?
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

Moscow

Ulaanbaatar

Beirut

Istanbul

Azerbaijan

Norway

Seoul

You better LOVE skiing to live in some of those places though...
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

True youd have to really love skiing for some of those places, but some of those places are quite nice.
Cafare52

Post by Cafare52 »

My ex-colleague works at the International School of Kazan, Russia and says there is a 'nice' artificial ski resort with lovely chalets and accoutrements within an hour of the school.

Also lots of ice fishing on the Volga river and tall Russian beauties to share the slopes with.
Last edited by Cafare52 on Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cafare52

Post by Cafare52 »

buffalofan wrote:
> Moscow
>
> Ulaanbaatar
>
> Beirut
>
> Istanbul
>
> Azerbaijan
>
> Norway
>
> Seoul
>
> You better LOVE skiing to live in some of those places though...

I'd live in all of those places as a single male. The biggest question marks would be Norway + Beirut because of $.
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

Yeah your yearly savings in either Norway or Beirut would be approximately $3.50. And in Beirut these days your probability of actually getting paid at all is in question. As I said, you better LOVE skiing...
cms989

Post by cms989 »

ExpatinAsia99 wrote:
> Tashkent International School in Uzbekistan seems to be close to some
> skiing opportunities. Any accessibility/terrain insight from skiers who
> have worked at this school?

Almaty has my vote for Central Asia. The resorts are fairly tame on their own but there are some truly spectacular backcountry/touring/mountaineering opportunities. The lifts at Shymbulak drop you off at 3,200 meters.
ExpatinAsia99

Post by ExpatinAsia99 »

Thanks for the information. I added Almaty.

I've been updating it on my own spreadsheet as people share information, but thought I'd make a public copy for any other skiers/riders out there who want this info:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Also, feel free to add/edit if you come across this post to share the skiing love.