I wish I had known....

indogal

I wish I had known....

Post by indogal »

What do you wish that you had known, or wish you had been better informed about, before you began teaching internationally? (or beginning the process of trying to teach internationally)
Helen Back

Re: I wish I had known....

Post by Helen Back »

That it would take us a few years to get into a school that we really want to be in. We started internationally with o lyric subbing experience.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

- Becoming an administrator is more of a political thing than being an educational expert or leader. Connections matter, above and beyond.
- Most teachers suck at using basic technology (some can't even use a copy machine).
- You're just a cog in the wheel. No matter how hard you work or how stellar your student results are, don't expect any reward or encouragement. Do not overcommit.
- Don't discuss your future plans with colleagues. They are not true friends.
- Most of all, invest early. No salary is too small for savings.
wander

Post by wander »

I wish I had made a plan for investing earlier. I will be fine, but I could be in a great place if I had opened up that Vanguard account five years earlier.
sid

Post by sid »

How awesome the international arena is for a career and not just seen it as a short-term idea.
tangchao

Post by tangchao »

You get a lot of attention early in your career because you are cheap, not because you are good.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

- That there would be a huge lack of standards and regulation. IE is almost the wild west, and if advancing a student to the next grade to get rid of them bothers you than IE is really going to disappoint you.
- That leadership and ISs can do whatever they want, ITs have no rights and ISs have ALL the power.
- That recruiting is a casting couch, recruiters will want you for numerous reasons that have nothing to do with content proficiency or teaching ability.
- Political currency and matters a lot more in IE than it does in DE. Its more important and marketable to be likeable than to be good.
- ITs are lazy. For whatever reason the enchantment and enthusiasm for teaching has dimmed or left for ITs. IE may as well be the escape route out of DE and it effects everything from performance to technology.
- No one cares about anything you do. If you need back pats, warm fuzzys and encouragement regularly the only place your going to ever get them is from your students and that might take a LONG time. ITs generally get more respect than they do in DE, but youre going to be seen as 'the help' in some aspect.
- IE is basically your secondary school life on repeat. Drama and gossip. Three people can keep a secret if two of them are dead.
- Have an exit strategy one when you can do so on your own terms and one if you see the heat coming around the corner. If it ever comes between you and a colleague, send flowers.
- Enchantment will wear off. Prioritize your real life over your professional business. Being an IT is still just a job.
- Its not your leaderships business because they think it is. A lot of the power of the reference is hype.
- Always be yourself, unless you can be a unicorn, then always be a unicorn. Thats a lot deeper than a meme.