Housing Allowance

business88

Housing Allowance

Post by business88 »

I tried searching my question beforehand, but I was unable to find an answer. I was wondering about housing allowances as I have interviews coming up, but I am still unfamiliar with ISs and their contracts. The schools I looked into have a 2 year housing allowance with contract, however the pay isn't all that much if I were to pay housing out of pocket. I am looking for something long term and hence the housing situation concerns me, because my pay wouldn't go very far if I was actually paying rent or a mortgage with my salary. My question specifically is, if you renew your contract at an international school does the housing allowance typically renew itself or is it normally just part of the initial contract and then you're on your own?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

In IE there are two types of packages that correspond to the type of hire you are, either OSH (OverSeas Hire) or LH (Local Hire). As long as youre an OSH you will qualify for whatever the OSH benefits and package is. OSH packages typically contain some form of housing benefit (either direct housing in the form of an apartment/flat the IS puts you in or an allowance). Some ISs vary that benefit, it may start out that your first year or first contract you have to take the direct housing benefit but at a later time you have the option of receiving an allowance. LHs typically dont get a housing benefit, what can happen and is becoming more common is that after a certain point of time as an OSH the IS will change your status from OSH to LH and you lose your housing benefit. This transition could be early at an IS, as early as your first contract renewal. Its also something that can be negotiated when renewal comes up.
sid

Re: Housing Allowance

Post by sid »

It’s also important to remember that not all schools have housing benefits even for overseas hires. Typically the better schools in most countries will, BUT that does not include most schools in mainstream Europe nor lower quality schools regardless of country.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

Concur with @Sid. The WE usually doesnt offer housing as part of an OSH package. WE OSH packages look a lot like LH packages with some added airfare. At the bottom of IE where ESs meet with ISs housing benefits tend to be absent.