Transferring Money US- UK

indogal

Transferring Money US- UK

Post by indogal »

Hoping some money savvy person out there can help me answer this one-

I am a UK citizen. Next year I will be earning a tax free salary in US dollars. I have a US bank account to deposit my salary into, butI was then planning on transferring it to my UK bank account. I was wondering if when I transfer it to the UK, I would be liable for UK taxes, even if I am not domiciled in the UK?
Helen Back

Re: Transferring Money US- UK

Post by Helen Back »

Difficult to say without details, but generally the answer is no. It might be a bit more complicated for the first few months when you arrive (August to December). I'm quite sure is info is available on line on .Gov websites.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

You could be liable depending on how the coin is defined and interpretation. Technically, tax free at origination doesnt provide you some global guarantee of a tax waiver, and double taxation programs wouldnt apply in this case as you havent been taxed in the first instance. It could be considered income subject to tax. If you want to reduce incurring enforced liability than make your transfers over time and in amounts less than €1000/transfer.
Helen Back

Re: Transferring Money US- UK

Post by Helen Back »

Stop reading psyguys post and start searching for UK Gov website advice. It's all there online and if you cant find it (meaning you would prefer someone to deal with it)
, get an accountant for the first couple of years. You'll have the hang of it by then.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

The LW could absolutely listen to the government that has a vested interest in generating and collecting tax revenue.