Long term disability: It's very important.

GoingMyWay

Long term disability: It's very important.

Post by GoingMyWay »

Over the past few years I have seen a few people go on long term disability in countries like the USA, Canada and Australia. Some barely eek out an existence. It can be a very dismal life if you can't walk, cook, bath yourself or even dress or operate a smartphone and not receive proper care through some type of program. I'm becoming very aware of how bad luck can strike at any time and how important long term disability is especially if you are alone in the world. I can only imagine how much worse it could be if you are a single parent of a young child or children.
I look at some school profiles at Search Associates and see 'Long term disability' is a benefit. But what exactly does that mean for a school in Thailand or Mexico or even Japan?
My opinion is that the best long term disability would be in central western and northern Europe.
Does anyone have any comments or has anyone seen the type of care one receives in any of these European countries or other countries and could help inform us?
Nexttrip

Re: Long term disability: It's very important.

Post by Nexttrip »

Can't help you with an example of someone actually receiving long-term disability benefits, however, I know of one Tier 1 Asian school that provides this benefit for all teachers from an international insurance company. It's written like this in their benefits information:

"Long Term Disability Insurance 67% of salary paid until recovery, death or attainment of retirement age, 90 days waiting time."

I agree with you that this benefit is incredibly important and another reason why a solid benefits package is crucial.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Usually it means that the IS is identifying a component of the social insurance scheme in the region that would provide something like that. There are ISs that provide a private comprehensive benefit, but they tend to be a rare minority.

In JP it looks like a 1R or 1K apartment/flat and cheap food you cook at home for a few years as a foreigner.
Illiane_Blues

Post by Illiane_Blues »

I have been thinking about this recently. I have some money saved but if I couldn't work anymore because of an accident I would run out of money after a few years.
In some European countries you will automatically be insured for this but I'm not sure which ones.
GoingMyWay

Post by GoingMyWay »

I would be very concerned about private insurance offered by companies. They could go belly up. For me the only sure thing would be something provided by the state in a stable developed and country. Also, it would have to be indefinite long term benefits. What happens if something happens so you can't work after you're 28 years old but you live another 50 years? That could happen.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

The problem is at some point you have to leave or make other moves. Even if you get some form of lifetime benefit, absent a long stay visa, PR, right of abode or citizenship you have to head back to your HOR. An IS isnt going to keep renewing and sponsoring a visa for someone on disability and disability visas for foreigners are rare. What youre looking at doing is heading to wherever your HOR is and hope you can get by and that medical care doesnt break you or your looking for a cheap country you can get a retirement visa for.
Illiane_Blues

Re: Discussion

Post by Illiane_Blues »

I believe in plenty of countries they will also pay out if you move out of the country after payment has started.
Sometimes they will adjust the height of the payments to reflect the local cost of living so if you move to Laos the monthly sum will be lower than if you stay in Western Europe.
But I'm just repeating what I've heard from two colleagues and I have no further sources to back this up.