Have you ever stopped an interview right on the spot?

inmortus

Have you ever stopped an interview right on the spot?

Post by inmortus »

I recently had an interview with the head of secondary of a school I shall not name. Without going into many details, it didn't really take me more than a couple minutes to realize I would not want to work with this person (saying he/she was insanely self-centered and narcissistic would be an understatement).

There was a lot of nodding from my part, and I literally gave monosyllabic answers and even then the interview took over half an hour (as this person just really liked the sound of his/her own voice).

Anyway, there were several times where I kind of fantasized about stopping the interview right there and then, but I just kept nodding and being polite.

Any similar experiences? Have you ever stopped an interview on the spot to tell a school they are not what you as a candidate are looking for? Any similar fantasies you don't carry out at interviews?
Heliotrope

Re: Have you ever stopped an interview right on the spot?

Post by Heliotrope »

I had a very similar experience. It almost sounds like it was the same person.
I also felt the urge to save us both some time and stop the interview, but it was at a fair and I didn't want to risk him taking it personally and subsequently badmouthing me to other recruiters that I was still set to interview with the next day.
So I did what you did and nodded a lot until it was over.
Weirdly enough he ended up offering me the job, but I declined politely.

He was new at the school. The school had a solid reputation at the time, but not much of it was left two years later.
inmortus

Post by inmortus »

Good to know I'm not the only one. Let's put it this way: when I finished the interview and I was talking to my spouse about it, I couldn't actually recall more than 2 questions I was asked by this person, as the interview really was just hearing him/her talk nonstop.... This is not an exaggeration: I was asked two very general questions that were not related to the job, and the rest of the interview was just centered on what the interviewer had to say...
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

There's a ton of suck folks at tier 2 & 3 schools in SE Asia, particularly Thailand.
sid

Post by sid »

I never have, though as a recruiter I have several times felt within minutes that the interview would not be productive.
On the other hand, I’ve been in several interviews that started badly and got better. Candidates are often nervous and pressured, and with a bit of time and a little compassion, they can relax and show themselves in a better light.

There is one interview I always remember and wish I had ended immediately, after the candidate was so casually inconsiderate and arguably rude. I couldn’t imagine how such a self-involved, egotistical person would behave in a classroom with children.
interteach

Post by interteach »

Worst question ever asked by a candidate (and within the first 2-3 minutes): "Where can I meet the lay-deeez?"

It was a short interview.
chemteacher101

Post by chemteacher101 »

A similar experience to the one mentioned by the OP: A few weeks ago I had an interview where the Principal seemed like he was trying to convince me not to go to that country... It started with the typical "Why are you interested in coming to _________?" and quickly moved from that to this person insisting over and over that it was nothing like he had expected when he moved there 6 months ago, how difficult and frustrating it is, etc, etc... Most of the interview was him asking "But, you are sure you don't mind X, Y and Z?". And in case any recruiters here are thinking he was just testing my flexibility, he wasn't, he was just miserable living in that country.

He didn't convince me of not being interested in that country, but certainly convinced me of not going working for him.

I would be willing to bet that school will be looking for a new Principal in less than a year...
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

chemteacher101 wrote:
> A similar experience to the one mentioned by the OP: A few weeks ago I had
> an interview where the Principal seemed like he was trying to convince me
> not to go to that country... It started with the typical "Why are you
> interested in coming to _________?" and quickly moved from that to
> this person insisting over and over that it was nothing like he had
> expected when he moved there 6 months ago, how difficult and frustrating it
> is, etc, etc... Most of the interview was him asking "But, you are
> sure you don't mind X, Y and Z?". And in case any recruiters here are
> thinking he was just testing my flexibility, he wasn't, he was just
> miserable living in that country.

Now I'm VERY curious to hear which country it was...
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

Here are the IT 'ghettos' that I'll never set foot on:
Bangladesh, Congo, Myanmar, Nigeria, Pakistan, Saudi, Venezuela, and Zimbabwe
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

chemteacher101 wrote:
"where the Principal seemed like he was trying to convince me not to go to that country..."

This definitely happened to my wife and I once. We were prepared to interview for jobs in Santa Cruz, Bolivia and the very first question the director had was "do you have kids?" When we said yes he proceeded to tell us the school wasn't for us or our kids and explained why.
chemteacher101

Post by chemteacher101 »

I can certainly understand a school that wants to make things clear; this wasn't my experience, however, it was more a case of this Principal venting about everything he disliked about the country (all of which were things anyone who bothers researching just a bit would know).

I did not stop the interview. As the OP, I nodded along...
yoplay

Post by yoplay »

I haven't experienced exactly what you describe, but the closest has been interviews where the questions asked quickly revealed a mismatch between my teaching philosophy and the vision the interviewer had for their school. In particular, there was an overly mechanistic view to assessment and learning that in my view interpreted formative processes in behavioristic ways.

Even though I knew this school wouldn't be my top choice, I tried to use it as an opportunity to learn more about their perspective and their school. Throughout my time overseas I have noticed that all of the international educators (teachers and admin) who I truly admire maintain the utmost integrity and treat others with respect, even at times when it maybe isn't deserved. While there are loads of international schools out there, there are only a small handful of ones that I want to work for. Each time I apply for new posting it amazes me how interconnected these schools are with informal networks.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

fine dude wrote:
> Here are the IT 'ghettos' that I'll never set foot on:
> Bangladesh, Congo, Myanmar, Nigeria, Pakistan, Saudi, Venezuela, and
> Zimbabwe

Yet I’ve had friends teach for 3+ years in each of those countries in the last five or so years (except Congo and Venezuela). The school is what makes or breaks it - and you can equally go to a great country, crappy school and hate it just as much.

Everybody has their no- gos, which are for personal reasons perfectly acceptable to have.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Yes, though they were rare and werent usually because of personality or management fit, but because the job I had applied for wasnt the one being peddled. Usually it was a primary position that turned out to be EC or a leadership position that was more classroom than leadership. In all the cases I paused the interview, this isnt what Im looking for, both our times would be better served pursuing other options, thank you, good luck, and have a nice day.
I dont do the head nodding thing, because its a sales pitch. The recruiter/leader either knows the longer they have you in the room the better they have of getting you to take an offer and the ones that dont, arent worth feeding their bat poop egos in the name of civility.
I concur with @fine dude, there are indeed a lot of suck folk in lower tier ISs, a lot of them, they arent worth your time.
Illiane_Blues

Post by Illiane_Blues »

There was never a need for me to stop an interview but from what I read here I have been lucky.
I always make sure I know enough about the school and if possible the administrator so I only interview for jobs at schools where I actually want to work.
For my first job I did get lucky though because back then I would interview with any school that would have me.

If I found out I was interviewing with a crazy person I think I would forget about the job and just observe the crazy person for my own entertainment. Maybe see how far I can make him go by agreeing with him.