Current 2019 list of countries with best savings potential

Overhere

Re: Current 2019 list of countries with best savings potenti

Post by Overhere »

Based on my experience in Shanghai you can make more than 40-50K/year in China and you can easily save more than 50% of your total salary. At the moment the devaluation of the RMB has taken a big chunk out of salaries and the cost of western goods has gone up noticeably but if your goal is to save a significant sum, then it is very doable.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

Yes you did, you did exactly that in this case. You went over to SA looked at the ISs in those two countries and reported what was in the SA database.

@Overhere

I dont disagree, I should have more accurately written that finding 40K-50K coin in China isnt difficult.
Heliotrope

Re: Reply

Post by Heliotrope »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @Heliotrope
>
> Yes you did, you did exactly that in this case. You went over to SA looked
> at the ISs in those two countries and reported what was in the SA database.

I did look at the SA profiles, yes, the '8 years and an MA' gives that away of course. That wasn't all I did though. But looking at my other data I didn't find a school that pays more.
And I noticed you didn't mention the school that supposedly pays more.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

Yes you did. Further you didnt monetize all the OSH benefits of the Aramco comp, such as housing, etc. but you identified that the Swiss ISs didnt include housing and so must come out of salary.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

PsyGuy wrote:
> Yes you did. Further you didnt monetize all the OSH benefits of the Aramco
> comp, such as housing, etc. but you identified that the Swiss ISs didnt
> include housing and so must come out of salary.

I did what?
Look at the SA profiles? Yes, I said so already.
Looking at my other data? Yes, I did that too. Didn't find another school there that pays more than Aramco.

And I noticed you didn't mention the school that supposedly pays more.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

You didnt have any "other" data, you relied in the entirety on SA.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @Heliotrope
>
> You didnt have any "other" data, you relied in the entirety on
> SA.

Hahaha! How would you know?
This is just like when you told @Thames Pirate that she's not saving any money, despite you not knowing her (or me for that matter).

I have plenty of other data. I'm active on other IS forums and websites where salaries are also discussed. And not too long ago I considered going to Saudi Arabia for a few years to make enough money so that I wouldn't have to consider salary anymore at future schools for the rest of my career, so I did research on the Saudi schools.
At the time, I had five ex-colleagues who were working in the Kingdom, all at different schools, and they all knew a great deal about salaries at the various high paying schools in Saudi, so it wasn't too hard to get estimates on salaries and savings potentials.
Back then Aramco was the highest paying school, and no major shifts in salary seem to have occurred at the others that were high on that list, so I assume it still is.

Also, I noticed you didn't mention the school that supposedly pays more, so feel free to correct me by naming that school.

Or perhaps somebody currently in Saudi can tell us if Aramco is the highest paying school or not. If my data is outdated or inaccurate, I'd be more than ok with being corrected. Just not by you and your constant bluffing, and the constant refusal to name sources (or schools in this case).
Illiane_Blues

Post by Illiane_Blues »

Saudi Aramco is the highest and KAUST is second.
Zagreb77

Post by Zagreb77 »

Right now I am saving ~50% of my salary in Tbilisi ($2000 per month go straight to my investment accounts) while still eating out regularly and traveling. A very solid balance of lifestyle and cost of living exists in Georgia. Hard to get a good job though as QSI is the only big player (British school I hear is decent too though), but you can't apply directly to any of their schools as an overseas hire. The rest of the Caucuses are similar in this regard.

Would you mind if I PMed you a few questions about that school? It's been on my radar for awhile, and we are looking this year.
Psychometrika

Post by Psychometrika »

@Zagreb77 Sure! I should point out that targeting particular schools within the QSI network is quite difficult. Since there is a transfer system between schools that happens prior to most hiring the relatively popular schools (in which Tbilisi is included) are tough are get, and most external hires tend to get offers in Central Asia or China. Tbilisi is a lovely place to be for a few years though if you can find work.
Illiane_Blues

Post by Illiane_Blues »

Heard yesterday what my friend at UNIS Hanoi saves yearly, and it's a lot. But hard to get a job there.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

Because you dont have any other data outside of the SA database that you used to respond to the inquiry.

@Illiane_Blues

Saudi Aramco is not the highest and KAUST is not the second.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

PsyGuy wrote:
> Because you dont have any other data outside of the SA database that you
> used to respond to the inquiry.

Do you understand that by your logic, whatever answer I would have given, it would be derived from a certain source, which could make someone not very smart say that *that* *must* be my only source, since the answer comes from that source?
In this case it just happens to be Search, since none of the other sources revealed a higher paying school.

Again, please feel free to name the highest paying schools.
If not, there's no need for me to take your claims seriously.
IntlEducator

Post by IntlEducator »

I have friends who saved lots of money teaching in Myanmar (formerly Burma.)
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

Didnt need logic I have truth. There is nothing "just so happens" about it, its not happenstance. You had one singular source and misrepresented that you had more than one. You dont.

@IntlEducator

Theres one IS worth teaching at in Myanmar.