Current 2019 list of countries with best savings potential

Heliotrope
Posts: 686
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 1:48 am

Re: Current 2019 list of countries with best savings potenti

Post by Heliotrope »

just.the.truth wrote:
> Well, thanks for the answers everyone...and entertainment. Back to the
> actual topic.
>
> I know it may seem risky, and probably ill advised by many, but what are
> people's opinions on working in Venezuela at the moment? I would imagine
> that one could save a lot of money given the current situation there.

Sorry for going off-topic...

With regards to Venezuela, it depends on how risk-tolerant you are. Your chances of living there for two years without an incident are probably pretty good if you're careful, but you'll have to limit yourself to certain areas (but that has always been the case in Caracas, and is not unlike other high-crime cities like Rio de Janeiro or Johannesberg) and make sure you follow the news so can avoid protests.
Maybe the most serious risk is that certain medications are unavailable there, some even for people with money. Not sure what the quality of health care in Caracas is nowadays, but not sure if I'd want emergency surgery there.
The current situation will make it a lot easier to get a job there, although the international school aren't exactly thriving - enrolment is way down from what I've read, so they might need fewer teachers.
Also, there are countries where you can save considerably more than Venezuela, and where you will have less risk, fewer power outages, and more interesting things to do. But it might be an opportunity to jump up a tier more easily.

just.the.truth
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:52 am

Re: Current 2019 list of countries with best savings potenti

Post by just.the.truth »

Thanks for the reply, Heliotrope. I am fairly risk-tolerant, and being a single male probably helps with that. Indeed, I would not want to have open heart surgery or anything there! However, I have been speaking with a colleague who was there for 3 years, and he can echo your sentiments.

The issue/challenge for me, is that I truly miss Latin American culture, but it is obvious that one does not go there for the savings potential. I just figured that this might be a balance between the two, with a little risk and adventure sprinkled on top! haha

Also, you are right about the opportunity to jump up a tier there. I have been overseas for about 6 years now, but at mostly 2nd and 3rd tier schools, so that may be a great opportunity to see how 'the other half' lives.

Thanks again. Cheers

IntlEducator
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:31 pm

Re: Current 2019 list of countries with best savings potenti

Post by IntlEducator »

It's true that schools in Latin America don't have savings potentials on the same level as the best of Saudi Arabia or China, but the Dominican Republic and Peru both have good schools with a decent savings potential. I have a friend in the Dominican Republic who is saving 25K/year.

PsyGuy
Posts: 9402
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:51 am
Location: Northern Europe

Reply

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

Yes I do know how many sources you used, one, SA. You repp all other ITs now or what you mean is when @Heliotrope receives salary @Heliotrope assumes rent wont be coming out of that?

@just.the.truth

I tend to concur with @Heliotrope, its going to depend on your risk tolerance. You will have to bring in your on medications and be in relatively good health (you do not want general surgery in Venezuela). Enrollment is down and ISs are struggling, but nobody ants to work there and but given the coin theres a lot of opportunity if you can practice daily situational awareness. You can find even high tier ISs willing to do one year contracts in so far as moving up a tier. Being a single guy you can live really well for very little.

Heliotrope
Posts: 686
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 1:48 am

Re: Reply

Post by Heliotrope »

PsyGuy wrote:
> Yes I do know how many sources you used, one, SA. You repp all other ITs
> now or what you mean is when @Heliotrope receives salary @Heliotrope
> assumes rent wont be coming out of that?

Nope, you're wrong, I used multiple sources. I even mentioned them.
And you still haven't told us how you could possible know how many sources I use.
Or how you know about @Thames Pirate's finances for that matter.

And on this matter I repp all the ITs I've ever worked with.
Furthermore it stands to reason that when virtually all school outside Western Europe (and US & Canada) have a separate housing allowance (or provided housing), that only teachers new to the international circuit that haven't done research might not know that salary doesn't have to be used for rent.


@just.the.truth
I forgot to mention that it might be smart to ask about cost of living nowadays in Caracas. It might very well be that prices have gone up so much there that you might save very little, depending on your lifestyle. Best to contact teachers currently there to find out.

PsyGuy
Posts: 9402
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:51 am
Location: Northern Europe

Reply

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

No, youre wrong, you didnt use multiple sources, you used one, SA. Youre listing of multiple sources doesnt mean you used them, because you didnt.

You repp them, is this @Heliotrope self declaration that you repp them, or youve actually consulted with and reached some accord that you repp them?

It stands to reason, by what your reasoning that you only do while standing? Is virtually your ay of declaring your right except for the times when your wrong? Are you resorting to reasoning because you lack the data to make such claims? This is @Heliotrope suffering from TPF.

Heliotrope
Posts: 686
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 1:48 am

Re: Reply

Post by Heliotrope »

PsyGuy wrote:
> No, youre wrong, you didnt use multiple sources, you used one, SA. Youre
> listing of multiple sources doesnt mean you used them, because you didnt.

More blah blah from a troll who still can't tell how you could possibly know this.


> You repp them, is this @Heliotrope self declaration that you repp them, or
> youve actually consulted with and reached some accord that you repp them?

Yes.


> It stands to reason, by what your reasoning that you only do while
> standing? Is virtually your ay of declaring your right except for the times
> when your wrong? Are you resorting to reasoning because you lack the data
> to make such claims? This is @Heliotrope suffering from TPF.

It's called logic. Look it up.
TPF is usually you not wanting to admit that @Thames Pirate is right when the two of you get into an argument, so yes, TPF.

PsyGuy
Posts: 9402
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:51 am
Location: Northern Europe

Reply

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

Says the troll.
Thats what I thought.
Logic just tells you if a conclusion is valid, not the conclusion, and not the only valid conclusion.
No its not.

Heliotrope
Posts: 686
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 1:48 am

Re: Reply

Post by Heliotrope »

PsyGuy wrote:
> Says the troll.

So still no explanation for how you would know how many sources I used?
How unexpected!


> Thats what I thought.

I repp all the ITs I've ever worked with yes. None of them would think a salary mentioned for an IS would have to pay for rent, because they know IS have a separate housing allowance or provide free housing.


> Logic just tells you if a conclusion is valid, not the conclusion, and not
> the only valid conclusion.

In argumentation, a conclusion is the proposition that follows logically from the major and minor premises in a syllogism.


> No its not.

Yes, it is. We disagree.

PsyGuy
Posts: 9402
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:51 am
Location: Northern Europe

Reply

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

::meh::

Is this @Heliotrope self declaration that you repp them, or youve actually consulted with and reached some accord that you repp them?

Ive already provided an example (Cambodia) of a region that is not the EU, or the US that does not generally provide housing.

Logic tells you if that conclusion is valid based on the major and minor premise. Valid is not the same is correct, or accurate.

We disagree.

Heliotrope
Posts: 686
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 1:48 am

Re: Reply

Post by Heliotrope »

PsyGuy wrote:
> Ive already provided an example (Cambodia) of a region that is not the EU,
> or the US that does not generally provide housing.

Cambodia is not a region. And one school in Siem Reap doesn't strengthen your case. I'm sure there are a few other schools here and there, but the overwhelming majority of IS outside Western Europa (not the whole EU btw) does provide housing or a housing benefit, and ITs know this.


> Logic tells you if that conclusion is valid based on the major and minor
> premise. Valid is not the same is correct, or accurate.

I'd say your understanding of logic is flawed, but I know you would say the same about me, so I'll let it be.
We disagree.

PsyGuy
Posts: 9402
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:51 am
Location: Northern Europe

Reply

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

No, Cambodia is a region.
No,Its more than one IS.
The majority excluding all your exceptions is not all its not a trivial minority either.
Your understanding of logic is in error.
We disagree.

Heliotrope
Posts: 686
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 1:48 am

Re: Reply

Post by Heliotrope »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @Heliotrope
>
> No, Cambodia is a region.

It's a country.


> The majority excluding all your exceptions is not all its not a trivial
> minority either.

Quite trivial.


> Your understanding of logic is in error.
> We disagree.

Yours is. We disagree.

PsyGuy
Posts: 9402
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:51 am
Location: Northern Europe

Reply

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

Countries are regions.
Not trivial.
Yours is.
We disagree.

wander
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:05 pm

Re: Current 2019 list of countries with best savings potenti

Post by wander »

1. Is anyone else sick and tired of the same posters cluttering up the board with their nonsense? It makes it very difficult to follow the actual conversation.

2. Would you really get to enjoy Latin American culture working in Venezuela? I consider myself pretty adventurous but that is a step too far. There is a common misconception that you can't save much money in Latin America. I've been in the region for 8 years and save plenty, and I'm not currently at what one would consider a top tier school in the region. No, you won't save what you could in the ME or some parts of Asia, but you can definitely put a good chunk of money away with very little effort.

Post Reply