Teaching after departure is annouced

Doctor

Teaching after departure is annouced

Post by Doctor »

I'm leaving the school that I'm at. I wanted to leave at end of academic year in June but the HOS decided a December departure is better. Everything has been more or less worked out.

However two weeks ago, the HOS called a staff meeting to annouce my departure, of course all the student then knew, which I'm finding awkward. Now they are bringing in teachers for demo lessons and I have to wait in the library; obviously they don't want me there while a demo lesson is going on. I find this even more awkward.

Once the decision was made by the school to release me in December and the annoucement was made to faculty and candidate teachers are giving demo lessons, I think I should be enjoying an early holiday and waiting for my flight out. I can't see anything good coming of me just being here.
reisgio

Re: Teaching after departure is annouced

Post by reisgio »

Stop complaining. Be glad it's almost over.
Skablictady

Post by Skablictady »

Doctor wrote:
> I'm leaving the school that I'm at. I wanted to leave at end of academic
> year in June but the HOS decided a December departure is better. Everything
> has been more or less worked out.
>
> However two weeks ago, the HOS called a staff meeting to annouce my
> departure, of course all the student then knew, which I'm finding awkward.
> Now they are bringing in teachers for demo lessons and I have to wait in
> the library; obviously they don't want me there while a demo lesson is
> going on. I find this even more awkward.
>
> Once the decision was made by the school to release me in December and the
> annoucement was made to faculty and candidate teachers are giving demo
> lessons, I think I should be enjoying an early holiday and waiting for my
> flight out. I can't see anything good coming of me just being here.

Hello Doctor,

Thank you for your post. Although it would be presumptuous to say that I can understand how you must feel, allow me to say that I can appreciate the 'awkwardness' cause by announcing your December departure. Feelings are never wrong and you are entitled to express your sentiments. Unfortunately, we are sometimes not understood the way we wish to be understood. Methinks your pupils & colleagues have formed varied perceptions of your premature departure.

I'm sorry that you were not given the opportunity to complete the school year and had to possibly uproot yourself and perhaps, your family. Rest assured, Doctor. Your next designated 'surgery' [doctor's office] is forthcoming.
drett

Post by drett »

I assume you are still collecting your December salary. Ask the librarian if he or she needs any help while you are in there. Like everyone, they often have many tasks to complete before the holidays.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Skablictady wrote:
> Hello Doctor,
>
> Methinks your pupils & colleagues have formed varied perceptions
> of your premature departure.
>

I think they all know - discipline is very hard at this school, way harder than it should be, and anothert teacher was actually moved around due to disciplne issues. The teacher I replaced for gr4ade 10 apparently hadf such a hard time that she went on medication to control her blodd pressure. I freely admit, I'm the worst when it comes to classroom management and that's why I approached management about moving on.

> I'm sorry that you were not given the opportunity to complete the school year and had to > possibly uproot yourself and perhaps, your family. Rest assured, Doctor. Your next
> designated 'surgery' [doctor's office] is forthcoming.

Yes - a son and a daughter whose education was interuptedwhich honestly doesn't bother me as much as it bothers mom. I see it as a semster abroad for them but mom thinks its a disaster.

Thanks for the words of encouragement and they did compensate me very fairly but I didn't know it would cost me so much face.
tangchao

Post by tangchao »

How many sick days do you have? I would be making use of them.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I agree with @tangchao you should look into your available leave you have and suggest using it if its available. If you have to stay, I suggest somewhere other than the library, maybe your IS will schedule it so that you can have a long lunch.

They are trying to embarrass you into leaving early, they think nothing of your feelings.