American sacking culture

PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

While there isnt an employment for life in the EU there is a common system whereas a DT has one year of probation and then gets tenure or some other civil service designation, which in most of the US and in the UK is very different.

While I agree with @sid that there are leadership who have a reputation as hired guns/hatchet men my experience is that US leadership are more often to see dismissal as an early remedy but UK leadership tend to be harsher in their determination and execution.
charle55

Re: American sacking culture

Post by charle55 »

I agree with Heliotrope.
many factors have played a role. Yet there are indications that institutional frameworks, such as labor-, tax and social law, or the provision of childcare https://neathousepartners.com/verbal-wa ... procedure/ influence the distribution of certain forms of employment. In addition, there exist different historic-cultural hallmarks from country to country that is not expressed in statistical indicators. These are combined with general trends within countries, such as an increase in female employment and the growth of the service sector, as well as specific developments in national labor markets, for example, as a result of the financial and debt crisis.

This European comparison covers countries that, from an institutional perspective, represent a range of welfare state regimes, in addition to Germany, the Netherlands and France represent the “continental European” countries; Italy and Spain Southern Europe; Denmark a Scandinavian welfare state; Great Britain an Anglo-Saxon country with a rather deregulated labor market; and Poland the largest transition country. The comparison is limited to part-time work and temporary employment; agency or contract work is excluded here due to unsatisfactory data in some countries. The period of the - is from 2002 to 2016.
MamfeMan

Post by MamfeMan »

Interesting. I worked at an American school for the past six years, and there was always at least one person let go for rather innocuous reasons. I do think there is a rather tenuous relationship between the power that comes with leadership and the levels of unjustified intoxication that power can cause. In a state with a good union, it’s hard to let a teacher go. But in a private school overseas? Oh, the power! The POWER!
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Many parts of the EU have equally strong union relationships that make letting an IT go after a certain period as equally if not more difficult than in the US.
tangchao

Post by tangchao »

After I originally posted this, the school down the road just sacked the majority of their staff or else they had to give them permanency. Yes, it was an all-American school.