Taking the PRAXIS exam abroad.

Elysium82

Taking the PRAXIS exam abroad.

Post by Elysium82 »

Hi,

I have a BA and a PGCEi from the UK. 10 years of teaching experience and I am considering the option of getting the US teaching credential (btw, I am an EU citizen).

I have looked at the different steps (see screenshot). Step 3 is not relevant to my case. I am planning to teach English/Spanish (I did these 2 subjects as part of my 1st degree).

However, step 4 is that of the PRAXIS exam, right? It looks like prometric.com offers the PRAXIS exam globally.
How do I know which state would accept my current experience and qualifications? Has anyone gone through this process successfully while living outside of the USA?

[attachment=0]praxis exam.png[/attachment]
Attachments
praxis exam.png
praxis exam.png (49.43 KiB) Viewed 4533 times
Anonymousie

Re: Taking the PRAXIS exam abroad.

Post by Anonymousie »

I have been doing my cert with teach now and have written exams internationally. If you go to the Praxis site it will tell you which countries offer these and where.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Having a first degree in your edu subject isnt really relevant to what a state may or may not require for a credential. States generally dont require advanced degrees for professional grade teaching credentials, though some states have a "master teacher" option or an advanced grade credential that may and usually requires an advanced degree. More common than a first degree in the teaching subject (you need a first degree in something, anything) is successfully passing the professional edu exams of which the PRAXIS is the most popular/common.

The PRAXIS is offered globally however world languages such as French and Spanish are offered at fewer test centers than other exams.

However, more important at this stage is your understanding that for a professional credential you will need to complete an EPP/ITT program of which exams such as the PRAXIS is just a component of the process. You can not just go to a state DOE with your PGCEi (which in the vast number of cases is worthless) and documentation of your teaching experience and the exam scores and have them give you a professional edu credential.
State DOEs will not generally accept your PGCEi, the professional edu credential of England is QTS, a PGCEi is just an academic qualification, absent that your experience doesnt count in most cases.

You have two options. The first is the MA (Massachusetts) provisional credential. You would need to take the MTEL exam (MA doesnt use the PRAXIS, they developed and created their own state specific exam). You would then get an effective lifetime credential. This is an entry grade credential that can not be used to get QTS, but it wont expire and requires no PD.
The second option is applying for a CT (Connecticut) credential. CT is one of the few states that has an experience based pathway that combined with your PGCEi (to meet the academic requirements) and PRAXIS exam may result in issuance of a edu credential, the initial (entry grade) credential (3 years, renewable) wont get you QTS but you have enough teaching experience that if it is all accepted could get you the provisional (professional grade) credential (8 years, non-renewable) which would make you potentially eligible for QTS.