Obtaining teaching credentials

Elysium82

Obtaining teaching credentials

Post by Elysium82 »

Hey guys,

I have decided to get the QTS (or anything that is equivalent to it). There are a few things I do not really understand though.
I have a BA and a PGCEi from the England. I believe the UK route would be the easiest one, but: are there any other globally recognized teaching credentials that schools wants teachers to have (apart from the QTS)? It looks like US teaching credentials are accepted by a lot of schools abroad (well, that is what they ask for in their ads). How about Canadian, Australian (or even EU...like Swedish, Finnish) teaching credentials? I am just looking at the different options at this stage that might result easier to go for. I have looked into the US credentials a bit, but most of the straightforward options are for those with social security numbers with I dont have. What shocked me was that Teach Now even asked me to do their 6000-dollar course in order to get a DC credential, but I already have a PGCEi. So, obviously they are not being transparent and want to make money (I guess it is normal, but it is still a bit absurd).

By the way, it looks like one could get a QTS while working at a school abroad where the English Curriculum is taught. One can create a portfolio and after a visit from an inspector (or whatever the title is), the QTS is awarded. If this is the case, then why are universities offering pricey AO route courses for those who wish to get the QTS?
For example, the London Metropolitan University offers a 12-week (not kidding....12 weeks) for 3000 pounds. That is super expensive.

I know I am not really asking any super specific questions in my post, but I am looking for guidance and the easiest option in order to become a qualified teacher. The process feels like going through a maze littered with expensive uni courses and admin/gov employees that talk in riddles. :)
Vrstefko

Re: Obtaining teaching credentials

Post by Vrstefko »

You seem to think that TeachNow is some sort of official accreditor that issues licenses. They are a company that offers courses. Asking money to take their course seems anything but shocking. In DC the authority is OSSE, so you might wanna talk to them.
I thought that with PGCEi and classroom experience you would be able to get a QTS, but I could be mistaken.
sid

Post by sid »

A wise man taught me: You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything.

I may be reading too much into your post, but to me this is the summary of what you want:
- You want to obtain a qualification with higher value than the one you have.
- You want to be given this higher-value qualification on the basis that you already have a lower-value qualification.
- You want to be given this higher-value qualification without having to do significant work/study.
- You want to be given this higher-value qualification without having to pay a significant amount of money.
- You want to be given this higher-value qualification by a country without having any pre-existing connection such as birth, passport, residence or employment. For some of these countries, you don't even speak the language (one presumes).

Objectively, it appears that perhaps you may need to adjust your wants. You could probably get the first one, but it's pretty uncertain that you'll be able to get all (or even any) of the others.

Why are unis offering AO options? Why shouldn't they, just because you don't want to do it that way. It's effective for the unis and their students. As for the option of working in a British school and getting your credential that way... well, there are actually not that many schools interested in doing this for their employees. You'd first have to find one of them, then convince them to give you a job, then move to that country and work there while simultaneously completing the required work. And presumably pay to have the "inspector" fly out and assess you. That path is not exactly easy to build, and probably explains the stay-at-home options being more popular. At least they're straightforward and pre-built.

Anyway, PG will probably be around sooner or later on one of her "respond to every post" cycles, and give you a loooooong answer laying out the various options and details.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

sid wrote:

> Anyway, PG will probably be around sooner or later on one of her "respond to every
> post" cycles, and give you a loooooong answer laying out the various options and
> details.
====================
Pretty sure that PG is a guy (at least I've always assumed that), unless they've gone all gender fluid on us (not that there is anything wrong with that).
Elysium82

Post by Elysium82 »

Vrstefko wrote:
> You seem to think that TeachNow is some sort of official accreditor that
> issues licenses. They are a company that offers courses. Asking money to
> take their course seems anything but shocking. In DC the authority is OSSE,
> so you might wanna talk to them.
> I thought that with PGCEi and classroom experience you would be able to get
> a QTS, but I could be mistaken.

I know that TeachNow is not an accreditor, but their certificate helps a lot more than a PGCEi when it comes to obtaining US credentials.

Unfortunately a PGCEi doesn't lead to a QTS if the classroom experience is not from a school that uses the UK Curriculum. That's my case. I have been teaching at an IB school.
Elysium82

Post by Elysium82 »

sid wrote:
> A wise man taught me: You can have anything you want, but you can't have
> everything.
>
> I may be reading too much into your post, but to me this is the summary of
> what you want:
> - You want to obtain a qualification with higher value than the one you
> have.
> - You want to be given this higher-value qualification on the basis that
> you already have a lower-value qualification.
> - You want to be given this higher-value qualification without having to do
> significant work/study.
> - You want to be given this higher-value qualification without having to
> pay a significant amount of money.
> - You want to be given this higher-value qualification by a country without
> having any pre-existing connection such as birth, passport, residence or
> employment. For some of these countries, you don't even speak the language
> (one presumes).
>
> Objectively, it appears that perhaps you may need to adjust your wants. You
> could probably get the first one, but it's pretty uncertain that you'll be
> able to get all (or even any) of the others.
>
> Why are unis offering AO options? Why shouldn't they, just because you
> don't want to do it that way. It's effective for the unis and their
> students. As for the option of working in a British school and getting your
> credential that way... well, there are actually not that many schools
> interested in doing this for their employees. You'd first have to find one
> of them, then convince them to give you a job, then move to that country
> and work there while simultaneously completing the required work. And
> presumably pay to have the "inspector" fly out and assess you.
> That path is not exactly easy to build, and probably explains the
> stay-at-home options being more popular. At least they're straightforward
> and pre-built.
>
> Anyway, PG will probably be around sooner or later on one of her
> "respond to every post" cycles, and give you a loooooong answer
> laying out the various options and details.

I dont mind working towards the "higher value" credential.

It will take 3 PRAXIS tests in my case, but first I need to figure out what is going on. When I posted this, I literally had 0 knowledge of the PRAXIS exams. I dont mind preparing for them and paying for them, but I will never pay 3000 pounds for the British QTS/AO (Mickey Mouse) course. :P