Follow-up Emails/Application Response Wait Time

ScottishLoon

Follow-up Emails/Application Response Wait Time

Post by ScottishLoon »

Hello,

I recently applied for a position at an international school and I received an automated email saying they would respond as soon as possible after my application has been screened. There was no end date for applications but their Facebook page said they are now planning for the 2020/21 year. I'm qualified for the position but It's been a week and I've not heard anything else. Their website says they respond whether you have been successful or not.

What are the typical response times to job applications by international schools?

Is it worth sending a follow up email to HR?

Thanks in advance.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Follow-up Emails/Application Response Wait Time

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

It's not very helpful, but the answer is it varies wildly, from hours to never. It's impossible to know what stage of recruitment the school is at, whether the position is definitely open, whether they have someone in mind already, whether they actually do respond to all candidates, etc.

When in doubt, feel free to follow up with the school (but that may or may not get a useful response. The sad truth is that many schools and admin types are not the best at communication, follow through etc., unless they really want you.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

You're a bit too optimistic to expect them to respond within a week.
Some schools might, but the majority won't, especially at this stage in the recruiting season.
expatscot

Post by expatscot »

Chances are, you won't hear unless they offer you an interview. Most international schools are really bad at communicating how long to expect.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

::Looking for @Sid:: Depends, how long is a piece of string? I concur with previous contributors. The rule is when an IS wants you, they act like they really want you.
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

related question:

after an interview (or two) how long does one wait to follow up on the process, keeping in mind that it's basically christmas?

v.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@vandsmith

Zero, only offers matter, until then you continue to execute your job search strategy as if the interviews meant nothing, because the interviews mean nothing.
Whats there to follow up on, they have your information they know how to contact you. They either know what their next step is or theyre formulating what their next step is. If they arent setting up that next step or progressing to an offer and negotiations than you have to assume, and rightly so that they are engaging other candidates and/or they simply arent ready to offer you a contract.
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

thanks @PG

v.