Best course of action

PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Doctor

I didnt pass over it, I just dont agree with your assumption that this evaluation was the deciding factor in getting the offer or not. You have your interview and your resume and both or either one of those is more significant than a reference especially for a mid term hire. The ISs main driving factor could be as simple as are you available and do you know the content material, and their only concern with the reference may have been limited too not touching students and not touching money and the rest isnt important. That doesnt make this a good reference, it isnt, it just didnt likely matter in this scenario, that doesnt make the reference something in the group of "good" or good enough" and considering how much you paid for it (paid dearly), it sounds more like your trying to rationalize value out of it instead of recognizing you got bamboozled by a HOS who sold you a bag of magic beans multiple times, and the beans werent magical.
Doctor

Re: Best course of action

Post by Doctor »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @Doctor
>
> I didnt pass over it, I just dont agree with your assumption that this evaluation
> was the deciding factor in getting the offer or not. You have your interview and
> your resume and both or either one of those is more significant than a reference
> especially for a mid term hire. The ISs main driving factor could be as simple as
> are you available and do you know the content material, and their only concern with
> the reference may have been limited too not touching students and not touching money
> and the rest isnt important. That doesnt make this a good reference, it isnt, it
> just didnt likely matter in this scenario, that doesnt make the reference something
> in the group of "good" or good enough" and considering how much you paid for it
> (paid dearly), it sounds more like your trying to rationalize value out of it instead
> of recognizing you got bamboozled by a HOS who sold you a bag of magic beans multiple
> times, and the beans werent magical.

Good point about the Beijing school being desperate; they are. But I think the HOS is being honest. For example, another job came up in the country I'm in and he told me point blank that he wouldn't be comfortable giving me a reference for that school. He knew the school and he knew I'd be facing the same discipline problems there as here. Also my Search account has been reactivated and the deal there was a decent reference from both my HOS and principal so the references must have been good enough for that purpose as well. True it did cost me some coin but for the long term, I think it was the right move.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Doctor

So the reference you bought isnt even yours its at the discretion of the HOS what jobs you will or wont be recommended for? I know your trying to be happy with this and find the silver lining and all but you paid dearly for something you dont even have.

You could have stayed for the year make them pay dearly to buy you out and if they didnt spend the rest of this term and next building up your behavior and classroom management skills, because if you never get into a classroom with some behavior or discipline problems youre never going to overcome that deficit and learn how to do it, and you had the perfect set up because you could break things and not hurt yourself anymore than you have.

Again, good enough to reactivate your SA profile doesnt have to be that good.