Doctor

Life in Armania

Post by Doctor »

Has anyone ever taught in Armenia?
What are the students like?
PsyGuy

Inquiry

Post by PsyGuy »

As in asking to generalize what the students are like for an entire country without any other considering factors?
Heliotrope

Re: Inquiry

Post by Heliotrope »

PsyGuy wrote:
> As in asking to generalize what the students are like for an entire country
> without any other considering factors?

I think we can safely assume the OP wants to know what the majority of the local students at the international schools are like, what discernable characteristics they posses as that sets them apart from the average international student.
Not an uncommon thing to ask and not impossible to answer if you have taught there.
Just as most Korean students are very hard workers who focus almost exclusively on academic achievements, and just as most local students at ME ISs tend to behave a certain way. Not all, but most, or more than the average international student.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

Who is "we", do you represent some group or collective or organization, or is "we" just @Heliotrope?

I do not share your assumptions.
Heliotrope

Re: Reply

Post by Heliotrope »

PsyGuy wrote:
> Who is "we", do you represent some group or collective or
> organization, or is "we" just @Heliotrope?

No, I don't represent some group, that why I wrote "I think" at the start of the sentence, indicating that is my opinion that something can be assumed.
Heliotrope

Re: Life in Armania

Post by Heliotrope »

Oh, and the 'we' was referring to this forum's readership, of which I am a part but did't claim to represent.
Illiane_Blues

Re: Life in Armania

Post by Illiane_Blues »

Heliotrope, pretty sure everybody except PsyGuy got that from your initial post. He probably misread it or something but you're kind to explain it to him.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Illiane_Blues

Im sure you dont speak for everybody and I do not share @Heliotrope assumptions.
Illiane_Blues

Re: Inquiry

Post by Illiane_Blues »

PsyGuy wrote:
> As in asking to generalize what the students are like for an entire country
> without any other considering factors?

Haha, was just going through some recent topics, and read you saying that in India "The students tend to be extremely spoiled".
Illiane_Blues

Post by Illiane_Blues »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @Illiane_Blues
>
> Im sure you dont speak for everybody and I do not share @Heliotrope
> assumptions.

You misread again.
Like Heliotrope I also didn't claim to be speaking for everybody. I also just expressed my opinion.
Thinking that everybody got that from Heliotrope's initial post is not saying that everybody got that so Im not speaking for anyone but myself.
Last edited by Illiane_Blues on Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Illiane_Blues

Yes, and? I never stated you couldnt generalize the behavior of students for an entire country, only inquiring if that was the intent of the LW to do so without considering other factors.

Yes you did, you wrote "pretty sure everybody".
Illiane_Blues

Post by Illiane_Blues »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @Illiane_Blues
>
> Yes, and? I never stated you couldnt generalize the behavior of students
> for an entire country, only inquiring if that was the intent of the LW to
> do so without considering other factors.
>
> Yes you did, you wrote "pretty sure everybody".

Yes, as in 'I' am pretty sure. That's not speaking on anybody's behalf. Ask one of your school's English teachers.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Illiane_Blues

Yes as in "pretty sure everybody", I dont need to ask, I am an English and Literature IT.
Illiane_Blues

Post by Illiane_Blues »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @Illiane_Blues
>
> Yes as in "pretty sure everybody", I dont need to ask, I am an
> English and Literature IT.

No, as in "I am pretty sure that everybody...", which means that it is my guess that everybody..., which means I'm speaking only for myself by expressing my personal guess and am nor representing anyone else.

Surprising that you're an English and Literature IT with all your you're/your and there/their/they're mistakes. But I enjoy being surprised.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Illiane_Blues

No, you rote "I am pretty sure that everybody" you didnt write "I am guessing that everybody", sure means, well that youre sure. There is no such state position of pretty sure just as there is no "kinda/sorta/mostly pregnant".

Those arent mistakes. This is speaking, there is no phonetic difference between those terms.