Advice wanted- Making myself marketable

Smokegreynblues

Advice wanted- Making myself marketable

Post by Smokegreynblues »

Hi all,
I am currently a Teacher of ICT and Technology at a Bilingual School in Thailand.
I hold a CELTA, Several British Council certifications on teaching IELTS, a Bachelor's of Arts and Law, M. ed In International Education (Non-licensure track), several PD's on ICT, A Thai teaching license in the works. 3 years of K-12 classroom experience in my school.

I have been looking to gain a teaching license from either the US, UK, or Canada. Since I am not a citizen in any of those countries, programs like teacher ready, teach now etc won't help me, I enquired they need a US social security number as well as travel to the US to complete certain exams. Nor do I want to spend 10,000 USD+ on studying something online as I can't really afford it.

Most US states do not even have a licensure program for my subject, ICT/ Technology Integration, Computing.
Does anyone know of any particular state licenses (Not particularly in my subject) that are hopefully lifetime and can be done online or in any of the Pearson centres across the globe?
I do not intend to work in the States, Canada or Uk. But its something I need to make myself more marketable when it comes to Search or ISS fairs. Some people have suggested getting my Thai license converted to Ontario teaching license, I do not know how is that possible if I don't intend to work there at all. People who did it are working in maple leaf schools across the globe.

Any advice or mentoring would be appreciated.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Advice wanted- Making myself marketable

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Hi:

I don't have much useful advice for you. I understand your preferences/limitations but the fact is that states generally have their certification systems/requirements in place for people who will/might actually teach there. I thought I recalled reading that one of the alternative cert programs was open to non-US citizens but generally don't track all of the details/posts. Hopefully the resident expert will post and give you your options (such as they might be).

I do kind of disagree that most states do not offer licensure for your subject. FL and NY have Computer Science which would generally cover/equate with ICT, at least as far as many/most schools are concerned.

Good luck!
Ladida

Post by Ladida »

Most US states offer technology certifications. It might be called ICT, Technology Applications, Technology Education, Computer Science, etc. You just have to look at the different states certifications offered. But honestly, I'm not sure how helpful getting a US certificate would be for you.
Vrstefko

Post by Vrstefko »

What exams do you have to travel to the US for, in the case of TeachNow?
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

TeachNow uses Praxis exams. They can be taken anywhere, really. TeacherReady, Florida, requires you to be in Florida to take the exam as far as I know...
expatscot

Post by expatscot »

PGCEi sticks out as the obvious one here. Combined with your MEd and your Thai license this might be enough.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I generally concur with @WT123, technology can be a grey area, its not as simple as literature or maths. There are essentially two sides, theres the comp.sci which is primarily focused on programing and coding but also technology applications. The other side is the engineering or "shop" side, 3D printers, CNC, machine tools, etc. The states that do have technology (and they are a majority) either separate them or aggregate them together, the ones that aggregate them arent really an issue in IE. A recruiter is going to inquire about specifics, your not going to get a shop IT teaching AP comp.sci, not are you going to get a coder teaching engineering unless those ITs are qualified. So yes while states like CA may have a Industrial and Technology Education that aggregates various subjects without a specific one, those subject areas are still there, its no different than a state that has a social studies or a science composite that includes geography or includes physics, its still there even if not a specifically inscribed endorsement.

You have two primary US options. The first is Teach Now, they accept foreign candidates and you can absolutely receive a DC professional grade credential upon completion of the program. Teach Now uses the Praxis series of exams which are available globally. This is a professional grade 4 year renewable credential.
The other option is the MA (Massachusetts) Provisional (Entry Grade) credential, this would effectively be a lifetime credential. However there is no credentialing exam and you have to demonstrate competencies, which your ICT PDs are unlikely to meet entirely.

ACSI is a potential option for you, but its not a credential. Teach Ready is also an option but there are more steps, work and costs.

You could also look at AO through the UK as a possible option. A PGCEi is an option and while a PGCEi is a working credential in many third tier ISs, your going to end up paying the same coin what you would for Teach Now, and Teach Now gets you a professional credential. A PGCEi (for some programs) doesnt require field work.

Those CAN ITs you reference have obtained time limited permits for teaching the CAN provincial curriculum. None of the CAN provinces will accept an edu degree without among other requirements completing professional field experience for a regular professional edu credential.

Teach Ready uses the FL FTCE exam, you can take in the US at many centers in various states, it doesnt have to be taken in FL (exception for several foreign language exams).
Smokegreynblues

Vrstefko wrote:
> What exams do you have to travel to the US for, in the case of TeachNow?
I am sorry, I got it mixed up with Teacher Ready.
Smokegreynblues

Okay, since I have been reading the new threads on this forum, a few new things have come to light. So I will add a few questions.

Is it possible to do the Florida exam in my case, then get the provisional level cert, Move to an American school overseas(wasc accredited), Then use the 3-year work experience to be used for a Hawai professional credential? And then possibly lead to QTS? Yeah, many steps. But as of now, I don't have 6000 USD lying around for teach now, maybe in the future. I was thinking of going the AO route in future if I transitioned into a BSO School. But again, even AO route costs 2000 USD. And chances of me getting a BSO school seems slim.

While getting a Tech centered credential is important for me, getting marketable is important as well. I specifically mentioned this pathway, as Teachnow seems rather expensive, and if I can do the Florida provisional license with just giving an exam, I would be more than willing to do that pathway to QTS.
Smoko

Post by Smoko »

Smokegreynblues wrote:
> Okay, since I have been reading the new threads on this forum, a few new
> things have come to light. So I will add a few questions.
>
> Is it possible to do the Florida exam in my case, then get the provisional
> level cert, Move to an American school overseas(wasc accredited), Then use
> the 3-year work experience to be used for a Hawai professional credential?
> And then possibly lead to QTS? Yeah, many steps. But as of now, I don't
> have 6000 USD lying around for teach now, maybe in the future. I was
> thinking of going the AO route in future if I transitioned into a BSO
> School. But again, even AO route costs 2000 USD. And chances of me getting
> a BSO school seems slim.
>
> While getting a Tech centered credential is important for me, getting
> marketable is important as well. I specifically mentioned this pathway, as
> Teachnow seems rather expensive, and if I can do the Florida provisional
> license with just giving an exam, I would be more than willing to do that
> pathway to QTS.

Take a look into iTeach DC. It results in the same Washington DC credential as Teach-Now, but $2,000 cheaper. They have payment plans too.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Smokegreynblues

In direct reply to your inquires:

1) No, FL does NOT have a provisional credential. They have one professional (professional grade) credential. FL has a temporary certificate, but its more a permit, you have to be sponsored to obtain it. While the requirements for the temporary certificate do not require an EPP/ITT program, you just need to have a degree and take the exams, you can NOT get the temporary certificate unless you are employed in a FL DS. What will happen when you apply is if approved you will receive a Statement of Eligibility (SOE) for a temporary certificate (valid for three year and non-renewable). The SOE is a letter, it is only good for exchanging for the temporary certificate, you can not take it to HI or MS for example and get a credential with it. You can not use it to get QTS. The SOE is not a recognized credential in of itself. You can not turn it into a credential anywhere except by working for a FL DS.

2a) No, you do not need to be in a BSO to complete the AO pathway to QTS. You only need to be in an IS that teaches the UK NC as its curriculum (and teaches in English). They do not have to have been inspected.
2b) Yes, You need to be in a BSO that has been inspected and rated satisfactory within the last 6 years and is a member of such an approved organization to complete INDUCTION.

3) If you just want to take some exams and get a credential without completing a EPP/ITT program youre options are.
3a) CT: Obtain a minimum of 2 year professional experience in an acceptable DS or IS teaching CSci or technology. Have a bachelors degree and an appropriate academic edu background and pass the PRAXIS 5652 (Computer Science) exam. This will provide you with a 3 year renewable Initial (entry grade) credential with a limit of 18 total years. CT works best for those who competed an M.Ed or PGCEi and have about 5 years of experience.
3b) MA: To qualify and obtain the 5 year, effectively lifetime, Provisional (entry grade) credential. You need to have a bachelor degree, pass the MTEL communication literacy exam, demonstrate proficiency in some 12 technology and CSci domains and submit a portfolio showing teaching competency by evaluation in technology and CSci courses you have taught. Its a rather complex pathway.
3c) AO: Complete the Assessment Only (AO) pathway towards QTS.

4a) No, neither option A or B will meet the requirements for QTS. You may be able to use option A or B and potentially obtain a professional grade credential from a state such as HI (as you described in your post), after meeting additional requirements and then possibly use that to obtain QTS.
4b) Yes, if you want QTS in the most direct and assured pathway without an EPP/ITT program, AO is the route to doing that.

5) No, iTeach will not help you, their DC EPP/ITT program only offers a handful of core subject areas, and technology/CSci is not one of them.
Smokegreynblues

Thank you for the detailed post. It took me a while to realize the complexity of your answers. And researching each of those avenues. I shall be forever grateful for the advice given on these forums. Sometimes I find it hard to believe that such a wealth of knowledge is shared by Psyguy for free.
I decided to go through the CT/ MA pathway.
Honestly, the MA pathway seems to be the most plausible. Even if I cant certify myself in the Tech(Which I can though complex), there seem to be other options to get certified in as well. Also since MTEL can be taken at any Pearson venue it works out perfectly.

However, I tried to go through the MA way and hit a roadblock.
The first step was to register MTEL, this tells me to again register I need a MEPID number, Ok so to get this number I again need to go to the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education's Educator Licensure and Renewal system (ELAR). Now again I need to register with ELAR, However, they are asking for SSN social security number, Which I do not have.
So I shoot ELAR people a mail as they mentioned on their registration form to contact incase one doesn't have an SSN.
It's been a while and it's a blank from their end. I think they prefer to receive calls rather than emails?

Anyone who actually got the MA provisional license, any pointers?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Smokegreynblues

You need to call them, you can reference this page which contains their phone number:
https://www.doe.mass.edu/licensure/elar/mepid.html