How to tell what's a real IS and how to apply

Malarazz

How to tell what's a real IS and how to apply

Post by Malarazz »

Hey, I'm a 28yo Math (and Econ/Business) teacher with a US passport (does this matter?) credentialed through the state of MA but with no real experience and medium references. To be honest, I'm not 100% set on the IT career path right now. So much so that I just completed the CELTA, and was about to look for work in language schools in Vietnam. And keep the option open to pivot into IT in the near future.

That said, I'm in the Philippines right now, and I kinda like it here. So I figured it might be a good idea to throw my name out there and see if I get a bite. If not, no harm no foul. But if I do, something good might come out of it. In other words, I feel like it might be a good idea to apply to International Schools in metro Manila that I have a realistic chance of being hired at. It might even be a good idea to try to set up a meet with a few of those schools to express interest.

To that end, how do I know what's an international school vs an "international" school? And can I tell which schools are prestigious, so that they would never hire a teacher with no experience like me, vs a mid/low tier school that could realistically agree to hire a Math teacher with no experience in November?

Also, for the applying part, how exactly do I do that, for schools that I won't visit? Do I look for their website and try to apply on there, or what? As far as I've seen, someone like me with no experience can't use ISS or Search.

I found this list in wikipedia, and there are a surprisingly number of schools, but again, I have no idea how to tell one from the other: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_i ... tro_Manila
sid

Re: How to tell what's a real IS and how to apply

Post by sid »

You’ll have to try to define “international school”, which has lots of possibilities.
Including
- relatively monocultural curriculum, staff, students, somewhere “other” than the mother culture. Possibly limiting the number of local students who can attend. A rather traditional and imperialist model, surprisingly still popular
- international curriculum delivered to mostly local students by teachers with a mix of nationalities
- international curriculum, mixed nationalities for students and staff

And everything else too. Personally I like to see that a school believes in teaching everyone and doesn’t set rules about students being (or not being) from a certain country. I think its curriculum and pedagogy make a school international or not. Not its passports. But I am only one voice among many.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

I am sure there are many 'international' schools in Metro Manila. Most of them won't cater to English speaking international expat students. Most of them will cater to local students, or other Asian nationalities. Realistically, there are only 3 schools I would consider working at in Manila - 2 really, but the third would be sort of OK, but not my first choice.

For someone just starting out, going to an 'international' school might be a place to get your feet wet, but you will be flying by the seat of your pants because they are not on anything like ISR, never go to a job fair, and don't really have an international body of teachers.

So, take your chances, drive by the schools, check out facilities, etc...and then apply. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

The three that will get the most applications by experienced ITs are:
- International School Manila
- British School Philippines
- Brent International School

Even if you're not a member, you can check out a list of the schools in The Philippines that are reviewed on ISR here: https://www.internationalschoolsreview. ... _pan_z.htm
Some of these might or might still not fit someone's definition of what an IS is, but at least you'll get a sense of where other ITs have worked.
Schools that are not on this list might still be 'international' by some definitions, but I'd be wary at least and would research them with extra scrutiny.

BTW, I've never heard of anyone who visited Manila and was so impressed by the city that they would want to try and get a job there. The rest of The Philippines might be more of a reason to do so though.
Malarazz

Post by Malarazz »

Thanks for the tips everyone.

I avoided the three schools Heliotrope mentioned because I have to assume there's not a snowball's chance in hell they would ever hire someone with no experience.

Instead I emailed the other three Manila schools listed on ISR, as well as two schools from the wikipedia list not listed on ISR, asking to visit the campus and saying that I would like my name to be considered if a relevant vacancy opens up.

@sid, makes sense, but to me the definition of "international school" is simple. It's a school where in the future my experience will be considered real international school experience by the recruiters of the top tier schools such as the ones Heliotrope mentioned. I assume every school listed on ISR fits this definition. But I have no idea how I would even find out if the schools listed on wikipedia but not listed on ISR fit this definition.

@Heliotrope yeah, I'm weird like that. Though I would also like to work in Cebu or Davao just as much. It's just that I didn't think to do this when I was in those places. Probably wouldn't have had the chance to do it in Cebu anyway, too busy with the CELTA.
sid

Post by sid »

Malarazz wrote:
>
> @sid, makes sense, but to me the definition of "international school" is simple.
> It's a school where in the future my experience will be considered real international
> school experience by the recruiters of the top tier schools such as the ones Heliotrope
> mentioned. I assume every school listed on ISR fits this definition. But I have
> no idea how I would even find out if the schools listed on wikipedia but not listed
> on ISR fit this definition.

Then your life is simple.
All you need is a real school. As in, all-around educational institution, educating children with all the regular subject areas during normal school hours, duly licensed by some relevant authority. You'll be fine as long as you avoid language or tuition centers, or religious "schools" that teach religion and neglect other subjects. Any sort of "real" school counts on your CV.

If you want to have support in developing the sorts of practices that will be useful in higher-end international schools, you'll want to aim higher than the bottom. Otherwise you'll have to spend time researching and developing them on your own, so you can present your case well in cover letters and interviews.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

A US passport matters but a EU passport matters and is worth more in IE.

hat is an IS has been discussed with minimal resolution for sometime. Some key things you ant to look for (in general agreement with @Sid) are:

1) Does the IS run a day program, 8-4 daily, M-F? No weekend schedules or late afternoon or evening regular hours.
2) Does the curriculum look like a general education curriculum consisting of a core academic program (maths, science, literature and humanities) and an enrichment program (arts, PHE, technology) where subjects such as religion are either outside those course are are only a minor part of the daily program?
3) Are they able to attract and recruit competent and professional edus or is a significant portion of their staff only qualified with ESOL or child care qualifications. What ratio of th staff can identify education as their profession and not just their job?
4) Does leadership identify more with business goals or edu goals?
5) What do parents and local community think of the IS? Is it talked about more as a IS or more a profit generating learning center here education is just the work flow?

You can register with SA as an intern candidate without the general consensus of 2 years experience.

I have to disagree with @Heliotrope, there have been a number of single or not so single male ITs who fell "in love" in the Manila/Philippines and that highly motivates them to work in Manila/Philippines.

In regards to touring an IS:

1) Dont ask tour questions, ask memory questions "I can see students really utilizing this space for X, how has it effected growth of Y", "What did you envision the outcome of X feature would be". Anyone can say "this is beautiful", thats what parents say.
2) Compliment liberally, executive and senior leadership have significant input and put huge amounts of their tasking resources into capital projects and infrastructure.
3) No project was or is perfect, inevitably design aspects and work flow intentions do not meet expectations. Its generally a good idea to keep criticism to yourself. If you must, comment neutrally and with open response, let whoever is conducting the tour make the criticism.
4) Do some research on the IS, this is an interview not a learning moment. You want to show your interest and motivation not be spoon fed the brochure.
5) This is an interview you arent a parent you should be selling yourself not letting the tour guide sell you on the IS.
6) Take note of who conducts the tour and how. If its leadership it should be someone in senior or executive leadership, if it is anyone else they really arent keen on hiring you. That said the tour may not be something leadership does very often. Dont be surprised if its a walk and talk vs. walk and stop tour.
7) Even if this isnt an immediate interview dress professionally. Smart business vs. formal business may be okay, but if in doubt treat it like any other interview. The problem may be that the tour is shortened if you appear to be in too much distress or uncomfortable. Walking time is talking time, you essentially have a captivate audience, dont give leadership an opportunity to cut it short.
8) It is customary to bring a very small gift, a trinket or keepsake from your home or where you currently are. Something of cultural significance. It should not in any way be something of any real value.
9) Its the Philippines but learn how to greet and say good bye in the host manner.
10) Be prepared with whatever documents you feel comfortable with, you want to have a resume on good paper with a letter of introduction and any other supporting documents. Youre getting face time take advantage of it.
Heliotrope

Re: Response

Post by Heliotrope »

PsyGuy wrote:
> I have to disagree with @Heliotrope, there have been a number of single or
> not so single male ITs who fell "in love" in the
> Manila/Philippines and that highly motivates them to work in
> Manila/Philippines.

Uhm, no, you're not disagreeing with me.
I didn't say there aren't any IT's that fell in love with Manila.
I said I don't know anyone who fell in love with Manila.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

Point taken.