practicalities of Search from recruiters POV

chiliverde

practicalities of Search from recruiters POV

Post by chiliverde »

I know there was a thread/debate somewhere about the validity of CVs in the hiring process, that I've tried but am unable to find. That said, I'm hoping someone on the hiring side can help me understand the process of Search applications.

Since the CV is a download document, I would have presumed that the bio (similar to a generic cover letter) is what's looked at first when a candidate applies, and potentially even used to filter whose CV gets a look?

Still trying to wrap my head around cover letters since I'm getting conflicting advice on how to approach it. One piece of advice I've heard is share achievements and data from your classroom, including what sets you apart (always challenging), and another says present yourself as warm and show how you build community. I also understand these aren't mutually exclusive.

Sorry if this topic has been beaten into the ground; unfortunately we all know the shortcomings of the search option on this forum.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

You dont get to download a CV. What the recruiter/leadership gets is notification with a link too access your profile along with whatever the email message was written when the IT applied/sent interest. That email introduction/cover letter is the first communication they get. Once on your profile (if they decide to login and access the profile from the link), they can view the various screens/components as they see fit. If the recruiter wants to keep your profile, they have to save a screen snapshot (print screen) or print it (though printing too PDF is an option if the leader has a virtual print driver).

Youre resume is where you show achievements and classroom data. The interview is where you show warmth and discuss community building. Your intro message should show value, why should the recruiter/leader take the couple of minutes to access your profile and give it a look over. Beyond that you want to convey likability, the vast majority of IT candidates using premium agencies have already been vetted to the point that they can do the job. The leader doesnt have to share interests or be someone that they would be friends with, but they have to know that your going to fit in with some portion of their ISs faculty and staff. The cover/intro letter should show how you would mesh with the current organization and its dynamics.
sid

Re: practicalities of Search from recruiters POV

Post by sid »

Actually, the CV is indeed a download.

Yes, the recruiter might first see a note from the applicant, if the applicant has reached out. Or the recruiter might find the candidate just by poking around the database. Either way, the recruiter opens the file and reviews the profile, which means all those fields that every applicant has to fill in, including personal statement and a link to download the CV plus everything else.
The recruiter can click a button to add the applicant to their hot list, keeping the file easy to access. Screen shots? Really? I suppose one could, though one file is probably a dozen screens worth, and the CV download link wouldn’t work.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Personal statement is one piece of the element - but the CV is where you present your experience and background and where recruiters get the sense of where you might fit based on your teaching career and references.

That said, I once was interviewed in spite of my CV because of my personal statement. Made it far into the recruiting process before I was cut. It was an interesting experience :-)
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

i have talked to 4 or 5 recruiters (principals/admin) and they all said the bio/personal educational philosophy was the most important thing.
next was the confidential references, which they all said they take as a whole - meaning that one review didn't necessarily spoil a candidate but multiple reviews with similar language could.
then the CV and qualifications - it's assumed that all have a baseline of qualification; he they said they were looking for anything that would stand out as an added value to their school.

so, i only talked to these ones - small sample - but they all said the same things, more or less. one principal said she was looking for some evidence of research on the school in the written area.

it surprised me somewhat about the bio statement being so important.

good luck!

v.
chiliverde

Post by chiliverde »

Thanks everyone, very valuable feedback
chiliverde

Post by chiliverde »

Just wanted to clarify in case anyone returns to this post - meant to write in my initial post that I was curious about the roles of bios and cover letters - not CVs.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

Disagree with @vandsmith, the bio/personal educational philosophy is not th most important document. Thats something recruiters and leadership like to say because it sounds more 'woke' and more learned on recruiting factors and priorities. You do not go to recruiting events (fairs) and wait in line with your bio/personal educational philosophy statement, you wait in line with your resume and CV.
vandsmith

Re: Discussion

Post by vandsmith »

PsyGuy wrote:
> Disagree with @vandsmith, the bio/personal educational philosophy is not th
> most important document. Thats something recruiters and leadership like to
> say because it sounds more 'woke' and more learned on recruiting factors
> and priorities. You do not go to recruiting events (fairs) and wait in line
> with your bio/personal educational philosophy statement, you wait in line
> with your resume and CV

meh, i didn't say that - it was simply what leadership said to me (3 different schools, including my own) at a recent conference.
take it however you like.

v.