Feedback Please

Doctor

Feedback Please

Post by Doctor »

I had a grade 12 HL math student tell me that she was going to the bathroom, left and never came back. I've been working hard to accomodate this student because I think she really liked the teacher I replaced.

Anyway, I told my principal and he threw it back on me to an extent. He is going to have her write me a letter explaining why student is frustrated with the class and what student would like to see me do to improve the class. Basically for this students benefit, I already created and acted on a math grade 12 student feedback form. My principal feels if this student isn't dealt with, it could not only poison my role in the class but with all my other grade level (10th and 11th) students.

I'm going to comply but I'm starting to feel irritated. If a student gets frustrated and walks out of class, wouldn't a detension be a better idea?
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Feedback Please

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Agreed. There are separate issues. The student left class and never returned. That should be dealt with according to whatever the school's policy is.

If there are are legitimate concerns or issues about the class, your teaching etc. then the principal should be working with you on that. Legitimate does not mean one student does not like you, misses the other teacher etc.

And yes, the letter should start with an apology for ditching your class. Sadly, the student probably went to complain to the principal instead of sitting in your class. Good luck and hang in there!
Doctor

Re: Feedback Please

Post by Doctor »

wrldtrvlr123 wrote:
> If there are are legitimate concerns or issues about the class, your teaching etc.
> then the principal should be working with you on that. Legitimate does not mean
> one student does not like you, misses the other teacher etc.
>
> And yes, the letter should start with an apology for ditching your class.

Excellent advice as always wrldtrvlr123 - it gives me a good way to frame any future discussions with my principal about this issue.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I concur with @WT123, these are two separate issues and neither one of them appears to be your burden. One, the students behavior for whatever the reason is disruptive to your classroom, and thats on the student. Its not your duty to conform the learning environment to their issues. Second, your performance in the classroom is a separate issue from one students dissatisfaction. Your leader as lazy for putting this on you instead of doing the hard work of behavior management and working with the parents.