Teaching license options?

straycat2019

Teaching license options?

Post by straycat2019 »

Hello,

So I'm just about to gain MA provisional teaching license and I have some questions.
What do I have to do after MA provisional license gets expired? It said it is nonrenewable and I'm not planning to teach in MA so it wouldn't matter? But I'm sure it won't be valid after it gets expires, is it not? Please correct me if I'm wrong. If I'm correct, I would like to know what other option I have after it gets expired. Do I need to complete Teacher Ed Program, like Teach Now or would I be able to gain another state license after passing some tests? What other state license involves issuing renewable teaching license? I'm assuming some schools would prefer teachers with "renewable" teaching license?

Thanks in advance!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Assuming you dont work in MA (specifically in DE in MA), your MA credential (under current rules) will never expire. The MA provisional credential is valid for 5 years of employment, but the way that the MA DOE defines employment specifically means employed/working in an MA DS. You will never use any of that time so the credential will effectively have lifetime validity. When you download/print the certificate you will see the date of issue, and then some asterisks for the date of expiration, and a note that its validity period is for 5 years of employment and will not otherwise expire.

The rest of your inquiry is mote.

You can not effectively transition the MA provisional (entry grade) credential into a professional grade credential, without having completed a significant amount of professional edu coursework, or completing an EPP/ITT program that awards you a professional grade credential, nor can you use it to receive QTS.
You can of course pursue those options, using the MA provisional credential to complete an EPP/ITT program OS such as Teach Now or Teach Ready, or the AO route too QTS. You dont need to do any of those things though.

The requirements for professional grade teaching credentials generally involve two criteria 1) The credential is without deficiency and 2) The credential is permenant either because it is renewable or does not require renewal to maintain validity. QTS is an example of a professional grade credential that doesnt require renewal.
straycat2019

Re: Response

Post by straycat2019 »

Thanks for answering all the questions. Some more questions though.

So, in order to receive professional grade credential, such as QTS, I think I do have a Master's degree in TESOL. But I've done this in South Korea at a university so maybe this won't count?

Also, what other professional grade teaching credential can be an option for me, including QTS? Do I need to do another degree in Education or just the TPP/TEP courseworks? For example, Michigan Professional Teaching Certificate be considered professional grade level teaching credential an option for me? To be able to secure my job in the future, I would need to receive professional grade teaching credential, such as QTS.

Again, thanks in advance!

PsyGuy wrote:
> Assuming you dont work in MA (specifically in DE in MA), your MA credential
> (under current rules) will never expire. The MA provisional credential is
> valid for 5 years of employment, but the way that the MA DOE defines
> employment specifically means employed/working in an MA DS. You will never
> use any of that time so the credential will effectively have lifetime
> validity. When you download/print the certificate you will see the date of
> issue, and then some asterisks for the date of expiration, and a note that
> its validity period is for 5 years of employment and will not otherwise
> expire.
>
> The rest of your inquiry is mote.
>
> You can not effectively transition the MA provisional (entry grade)
> credential into a professional grade credential, without having completed a
> significant amount of professional edu coursework, or completing an EPP/ITT
> program that awards you a professional grade credential, nor can you use it
> to receive QTS.
> You can of course pursue those options, using the MA provisional credential
> to complete an EPP/ITT program OS such as Teach Now or Teach Ready, or the
> AO route too QTS. You dont need to do any of those things though.
>
> The requirements for professional grade teaching credentials generally
> involve two criteria 1) The credential is without deficiency and 2) The
> credential is permenant either because it is renewable or does not require
> renewal to maintain validity. QTS is an example of a professional grade
> credential that doesnt require renewal.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@straycat2019

Your Masters wont allow you to transition an entry grade credential to a professional grade credential. There are DOEs in the US that require a Masters to transition a professional grade credential to an advance grade credential or to renew a professional grade credential.

As a foreigner, if you want a professional grade credential you will need to complete an EPP/ITT program.

The Michigan professional teaching credential is a professional grade credential, you wouldnt be able to get it with the MA Provisional credential, as the requirement is to have completed an EPP/ITT program to have obtained the standard (entry grade credential).

First, you really dont need to do anything this credential is going to effectively be a lifetime credential and it makes you just as legal an IT as any other credential, it authorizes you to provided instructional service in MA. Second, theres currently nothing you can do, there isnt a pathway for transitioning vie mutual recognition your credential to a professional grade credential as a foreigner.