Page 4 of 6

Re: Most in-demand subjects for international schools?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:14 am
by Heliotrope
Maybe in one of the topics that got deleted then, from before I started reading topics.
I'm sure it's in one of those then. Must be.

Not sure what you consider 'major contributors' though, as both @Thames Pirate an I disagree with your supposed consensus, and we're both in the top 10 of major contributors (#4 and #6).

Re: Most in-demand subjects for international schools?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:23 pm
by GrumblesMcGee
Heliotrope wrote:
> Maybe in one of the topics that got deleted then, from before I started
> reading topics.
> I'm sure it's in one of those then. Must be.
>
> Not sure what you consider 'major contributors' though, as both @Thames
> Pirate an I disagree with your supposed consensus, and we're both in the
> top 10 of major contributors (#4 and #6).

Don't bother. He'll just move the goalpost again.

We all know there's no consensus (and "we" includes PG, but his inner troll can't let go of the lazy argumentum ad populum move). This is yet another example of an important question devolving into a pissing contest over the most trivial of distinctions. But hey, I'm guilty of it, too. It's popcorn.

I almost woke the whole house up chuckling over PG once again falling back on his "sole and exclusive authority" status. Again, friend, you're not the sole and exclusive authority on anything--even if you have the ultimate say in how to spend (waste) your keystrokes and finite time on this marble. You're not even an authority on notions of "authority," and you've demonstrated ignorance (or worse, bad faith) in invoking "consensus."

I think most people here tip their caps to you on issues relating to certification. Don't outkick your coverage on other matters, where you're just one voice among many.

Reply

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:04 am
by PsyGuy
@GrumblesMcGee

Oh there is absolutely consensus among the forums major contributors, in all cases where I have discussed forgoing the recommendation have been in scenarios where DE isnt a viable pathway forward.

I am an authority on many things, this happens to be one of those things I am the sole, exclusive and ultimate authority on. You dont know what authority means, you seem to think that having an opinion or a criticism regarding behavior that is within my sole purview to regulate provided you some form of authority.

Re: Reply

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:49 am
by Heliotrope
PsyGuy wrote:
> Oh there is absolutely consensus among the forums major contributors

Nope, there isn't.

Comment

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:49 am
by PsyGuy
@Heliotrope

We disagree

Re: Most in-demand subjects for international schools?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:21 am
by Heliotrope
Yes

Re: Most in-demand subjects for international schools?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:34 am
by Illiane_Blues
Like Thames Pirate and Heliotrope I have also never seen anything close to a consensus on this matter and even though I am not a major contributor like they are I would agree with the both of them.

I would point out that if you want to get to a good international school it is smarter to go international right away after obtaining your credential. Many international schools prefer international experience over domestic experience and also say so on their website:

"'We seek candidates who have two years or more of teaching experience in the same subject as the open position or at a similar grade level. Overseas experience is particularly valuable.
We are interested in candidates who have lived outside their country for some length of time, or who have traveled widely. The ideal candidate for our programs will also have lived (studied or worked) in an English speaking country. '"

I have seen similar texts on the Employment pages of many international schools.

Reply

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:16 pm
by PsyGuy
@Illiane_Blues

Thats not true, its a small subset of ISs that claim they want 2 years of IE experience over 2 years of experience.

Re: Reply

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:12 am
by Illiane_Blues
No, it's a lot.
And it makes sense to want someone who knows how it is to live overseas and is less likely to leave after the contract is up because they did not have an accurate picture of the life of an IT.

Reply

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:44 pm
by PsyGuy
@Illiane_Blues

No its not, youre ignoring your own citation "We seek candidates who have two years or more of teaching experience in the same subject as the open position or at a similar grade level.".

Yes, it does its why the PASS reflects value for overseas experience its small compared to the experience value.

Re: Reply

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:17 pm
by Illiane_Blues
The citation is incomplete. It's followed by "Overseas experience is particularly valuable."
And this has been my experience as well where plenty of ITs who were doing a first contract overseas went back straight after because they felt homesick, or found out they still needed to work hard, or some other reason. So the school preferred to hire teachers who already knew what living overseas entailed.

PASS is your own invention, so no wonder it supports your argument. It's saying: "I'm right, because I agree with myself".

Reply

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:07 am
by PsyGuy
@Illiane_Blues

Its not incomplete, your position is that one of those experience, mediates overseas travel, they dont. They arent compensatory.

Re: Reply

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:12 am
by Illiane_Blues
PsyGuy wrote:
> @Illiane_Blues
>
> Its not incomplete, your position is that one of those experience, mediates
> overseas travel, they dont. They arent compensatory.

The school states that they see the international experience as an asset, plain and simple.

Reply

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:29 am
by PsyGuy
@Illiane_Blues

Im not stating they dont. Im stating that they dont see OS experience as a substitute for DT experience. Plain and simple.

Re: Reply

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:52 am
by Illiane_Blues
They want two years of teaching experience.
And they prefer international experience.