Already taught abroad, need help with my initial certificate

PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@brentk

EPP = Educator Preparation Program; a generic term for professional educator training that leads to a credential in the US.
ITT = Initial Teacher Training; a generic term for professional educator training that leads to a credential in the UK.

So if you did all the work and testing in SC why did you get a middle school social studies and not the secondary social studies credential?

Yes, Ive heard of that, NJs criteria arent unique. Middle school credentials were developed so that primary DS DTs could expand into middle school without all the content mastery as a full secondary DT. There are other states with comparable limitations. NJ wont issue a standalone middle school credential, middle school credentials can only be added onto an already existing instructional credential. You would have to qualify for a credential in something, anything else to add middle school credentials (which if your not a primary edu, than there isnt much reason too, as the NJ credential is all grade levels).

You would appear to have two of the easier options. One you could meet NJs requirements, I wouldnt, they are esoteric. 2) You could add the social studies (7-12) endorsement to your VT credential since you have completed the Praxis exam already (assuming SC and VT use the same exam, VTs is 5086) and assuming you have the 18 hours in specific social studies courses (American History, World History, Economics, Geography, Political Science and either Psychology or Sociology) and your degree major was in (history, political science, economics, geography, or other social science disciplines such as sociology, psychology, global studies, anthropology and world religions). You could then add that endorsement and then use that to reapply for the NJ credential. You could alternatively contact your EPP Masters degree provider and see if they would recommend you for the full secondary social studies credential/endorsement (they probably wont).
brentk

Re: Already taught abroad, need help with my initial certifi

Post by brentk »

@PsyGuy

Appreciate the explanations and advice.

My MAT in SC was specifically in middle-level education. The program at my university, as it existed then, was specifically offering a two-year master’s path only for middle school level. Their guidance people told me that if one wanted to get elementary or high school certification in SC there was not a master’s program for that: one would have to do a whole new undergrad program in education. I completed my undergrad in history in the Midwest and was only open to considering master’s programs for when I was returning to school back in ‘16. My alma mater actually graduated its last cohort in this MAT program and now only has undergrad education programs for people to start with.

As it stands now, I’m glad I got the VT cert and am aiming to go back to my home state. Have been completing the process to get the license of that state and am going to a private, religiously-based school next year. I am glad I know about the options internationally but think I will be fully-satisfied back in my home state.

Thanks again for all your help.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@brentk

VT really saved the day.