Planning ahead. How can I become an IT in Germany?

PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Illiane_Blues

I did read it, back when I contributed to that post. The position is the same then as it is now. Boarding kids can have mental issues, non-boarding kids can have mental issues. Children can have mental issues.
Illiane_Blues

Re: Reply

Post by Illiane_Blues »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @Illiane_Blues
>
> I did read it, back when I contributed to that post. The position is the
> same then as it is now. Boarding kids can have mental issues, non-boarding
> kids can have mental issues. Children can have mental issues.

Yes but the point is that research shows boarding kids have way more mental issues.

People who smoke can get lung cancer. People who don't smoke can get lung cancer. People can get lung cancer.
Great argument.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Illiane_Blues

"Research shows", bunk! Its one book authors idea and postulation based entirely on case study and anecdotal observation. Its based on nothing more than an extrapolation that developmental challenges early in life manifest later in life which is true for children in boarding DSs, but true for all children, including those not in boarding DSs. You can point at maladjusted boarding DS students in adulthood and you can identify maladjusted adults who didnt attend boarding DSs. You can also identify well adjusted boarding DS students.

Further, there is nothing in the authors book, claims or conclusions that would meet some statistical or even practical definition of "way more" mental issues.

No, we have statistically significant and practically significant data in the form of strongly valid and repeatable studies that shows smoking is a heavy correlational indicator towards developing among other health issues lung cancer. This author doesnt have that level of data.
Heliotrope

Re: Planning ahead. How can I become an IT in Germany?

Post by Heliotrope »

I don't want to interrupt this lovely back-and-forth, but I have recently read multiple articles on how Australia is a positive exception to the 'Boarding School Syndrome' that comes from being a student at a boarding school.
Boarding schools there seem to be aware of the problems that stem from having lost normal family life through being sent away to boarding school, and have taken steps towards resolving some of them, with promising positive results.

I'd still rather work at a normal IS if I'd consider Australia, as I've heard too many frightening stories about boarding students from co-workers. But if I had to work at one, I'd pick Australia.
Illiane_Blues

Post by Illiane_Blues »

Rest assured I don't misrepresent anything, I only post from experience, research and reliable and trusted sources.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Illiane_Blues

We disagree.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Illiane_Blues wrote:
> Rest assured I don't misrepresent anything, I only post from experience,
> research and reliable and trusted sources.

For the win!
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Only in TPF
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

No, not in (in?) TPF.
GrumblesMcGee

Post by GrumblesMcGee »

As the sole and exclusive authority on what constitutes an FTW declaration, I irrevocably declare Illiane_Blues the victor. Rest assured that I have weighed all perspectives, - all data, and consider my position sufficiently strong to withstand all debate.
shawanda

Post by shawanda »

All of my American friends in Germany can't wait to get out because of the sick tax situation. It actually explains a lot about Germans' masochism that they put up with it, but it's completely off the hook for expats there.