DC Administrative license. How long does it take?

chemteacher101

DC Administrative license. How long does it take?

Post by chemteacher101 »

Hi. I'm interested in applying to the DC administrative credential (as I understand, having teaching experience and a Master's degree would meet requirements for the provisional tyoe. However, my education was not carried out in the US. Assuming I already have a NACES evaluation of my credentials, would anyone know how long does it take to apply and receive a response/get this license?
PsyGuy

Reponse

Post by PsyGuy »

You would need two years of FTE edu experience in a KS/K12 environment and a Masters degree and you would be eligible for an initial administrative credential, this is a two year non-renewable credential. You would also have to complete a CRB.

The processing time is about 4 weeks.
chemteacher101

Re: DC Administrative license. How long does it take?

Post by chemteacher101 »

Thanks.
About the full time teaching experience: out if curiosity really, how recent? Do you have to currently be working? Could it be that you worked as a full time teacher a few years ago? They don't seem to specify anything other than the fact that you need 2 years of full time experience...
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@chemteacher101

It doesnt have to be recent. You dont have to currently be employed in an edu capacity.
However, the initial credential is a non-renewable 2 year credential. The only way to transition it to the renewable, standard credential is if during the two years of the initial credential you are gaining two additional years of FTE experience needed to complete a total of four years of experience. You will also have to complete the ETS SLLA exam during those two years as well.
You havent stated what your intention is, but the 2 year initial credential is only viable if you obtain a leadership appointment in hand and need the credential as a condition of the appointment.
chemteacher101

Post by chemteacher101 »

Mmmm interesting. Even if I have right now over 10 years of full time teaching experience, I would need 2 "new" years? Or if I currently have 10+ years of FTE could I first get the initial one and then take the exams and apply for the full credential at some point in the next 2 years?

The short version in intention: I am currently on sabbatical finishing some studies, but will try to get a leadership position for 2020-2021. I assume having the initial credential would make me a bit more marketable and since jobs are being posted right now, this would be faster than attempting to get the standard one. If I get a job, I was hoping that I would be able to apply for the standard one in two years time, given I have already over 10 years of FTE experience.

However, if my experience wouldn't count and I would need 2 more "new" years of experience that would change things as I would only have one new year of experience by (i.e) September 2021...
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@chemteacher101

As long as you have 4+ years of accredited FTE KS/K12 experience you do not need any more once you have the initial administrative credential; the experience need not be recent or current. You could then complete only the ETS SLLA exam sometime during those to years too transition to the standard credential.

This is actually beneficial, as you would have a total of 6 years before you needed to complete PD requirements to renew the standard credential.
finleyedd

Post by finleyedd »

What about renewing the 4 year license? What professional development counts?
chemteacher101

Post by chemteacher101 »

Update, in case anyone else is interested: I successfully applied and was granted the provisional 2-year credential via a NACES evaluation of my M.Ed. and the forms evidencing my teaching experience. Once I sent all info and paid, it took them literally 2 days for them to process! It's a bit scary how easier it is to get an administrative credential than a teaching license...
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@finleyedd

You need 120 hrs, generally third part organizations and Uni credits/units count. What generally does not count is internal IS (in-house) PD like the kind your leadership gives you before the start, the middle of and end of the AY. If your showing up in an auditorium of your IS for a half day meeting and slide show, thats not going to count.

@chemteacher101

DC is the abnormality among the regulating authorities in the US. Its not really surprising though, ITs and leadership ave very different roles and very different skill sets. When the steal meets the stone regulating agencies are far more concerned with welfare of students and an IT has a far greater potential of harming students where as a leader has a greater capacity to damage the business. In that regard, a lot of leadership EPP/ITT programs tend to be more heavy on the education related academic and lite on the business aspects of DS/IS management.