CV Question

funteacher

CV Question

Post by funteacher »

I used to work in politics. A few of the people I worked for have become well known. Is it a good thing, or a bad thing, to name drop political figures on my CV, or should I keep my CV vague with something like "political campaign worker"? On the one hand, people may be impressed at the people I have worked for. On the other hand, employers' political biases may cause them to throw my CV immediately in the trash can. Those of you with admin experience, would this be a positive or a negative? I am a Math/Social Studies teacher.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

CV = No
Resume = No
Cover Letter = No*
Interview = Yes*

It might have some utility in your cover letter, assuming your applying for an actual PoliSci teaching vacancy, and you actually have some form of relationship with these well known political individuals, otherwise the generic "political campaign worker" goes on your resume and CV. During an interview you can feel out the recruiter/leadership to determine if name dropping isnt going to be a negative for you.
The other issue you need to consider is that in a number of regions a political connection could 1) Make you a target of the government, and 2) That political prophesying is usually prohibited and could possibly cause an issue for you and an IS. Youre going to want to be really clear that your just interested in the teaching and your not there to cause any kind of political problems or to advance any kind of political agenda or idealism.