Help with license

kgirl

Help with license

Post by kgirl »

Good day
My situation re license is a bit different and I wanted some thoughts on what I could do. I was in the USA and I have a South Carolina license however it is a international license that they give to international teachers on the short term. It expires yearly (current one will expire 2020). Is there a state that I could probably get a regular license from? I teach music and I passed the required music praxis which was needed but they wouldn't give me a regular license since I was on a work visa.
PsyGuy

Inquiry

Post by PsyGuy »

So your not in the US anymore?
Whats your academic background and qualifications?
Do you have a non-US edu credential or the equivalent of one from somewhere?
How much DE/IE experience do you have in a KS/K12 classroom?

I ask because what you wrote doesnt make a lot of sense. If you were in SC on a work visa (an H1B visa) then you would have the same pathway to an initial credential as any other DT, though you would have to obtain an NACES evaluation of your qualification and credentials and have had to complete examinations such as the PRAXIS. If you received an international visitor credential, then you were likely part of a cultural exchange program (J1 visa), you still get paid but its not a work visa, and you use the international visiting IT pathway, which gets you the credential you have described. I get the impression your went though a private program for non-US ITs.

So why I ask, is that of course this is edu bureaucracy so its possible that you did have a work visa but your qualifications and credentials didnt meet the requirements for the SC initial credential and that the visiting IT credential was a short term fix to get you in the classroom for the year. I would then want to know on what basis the SC DOE denied you an initial credential, because credentialing guidelines differ and if its a minor factor you were denied than there are states with more relaxed requirements.
Another possibility and why I mentioned "private program for non-US ITs" above, is that some of these agencies do a really good job of spinning a cultural exchange program for those without professional edu credentials and qualifications into a US recruiting work/employment program, since after all you are getting paid coin. They can basically take someone with a background in music and get them into an exchange program with little else (technically you dont even need a degree).
kgirl

Re: Help with license

Post by kgirl »

Thanks for responding. Im moving to Africa to teach at an American international school and so I wanted to be able to keep some form of certification.
I have a bachelor's in music, a post graduate diploma in history education and a master's in teacher education and development. I have taught between elementary, middle and high for over 11 years. 3 years if those were spent in the USA I was on the j1 program so I had to have my credentials evaluated by a NACES accredited agency. So you are correct in that regard.
I didn't apply to change my license to initial as it explicitly states that only residential permanent visa (h1b/green card etc) would be granted.
PsyGuy

Inquiry

Post by PsyGuy »

@kgirl

Where was your teaching done before the USA and at what grade/year levels?
Do your qualifications/degrees (your PGDE and your Masters) authorize you to teach music and/or history as a professional edu/DT in the region you got them from in a KS/K12 classroom according to the NACES evaluation?

Yes, you would have needed an H1B visa to get an initial SC DOE credential.
There are basically two categories of credentials 'regular' credentials such as the SC DOE initial and professional credentials as well as QTS which can be further organized into entry, professional, and advance grade levels. The other category are 'permits'. Youre intentional visiting IT credential from the SC DOE is one such type of permit.
No US state will grant a regular credential based on reciprocity of a permit. Nor will the TCL/TRA grant QTS based on this permit, nor will any CAN or AUS regulating authority.
kgirl

Post by kgirl »

@psyguy I taught in Jamaica at the elementary and secondary level and yes my qualification certifies me to teach in my region and also outside my region. My University is the regional one which trains most teachers across the region esp at the bachelor, master's and PhD level.
PsyGuy

Inquiry

Post by PsyGuy »

@kgirl

Is that where your qualifications/degree are from, Jamaica?
kgirl

Post by kgirl »

@psyguy yes it is.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

@kgirl

So assuming your registered and credentialed by the Jamaican MOE (Jamaican Teaching Council) and this is reflected on your NACES evaluation you have a couple options depending what you want to do.

First, You can pursue a HI standard (professional grade) credential, this is probably the easiest, there is no testing for you, your degree will fulfill the basic skills and subject matter competency, there is no CRB, and and you already have the NACES evaluation. You would need to complete the experience verification form for your previous experience. Your three year of US experience will meet the requirements for the standard 5 year, (professional grade) credential and if they accept an additional two years of your experience in Jamaica for a total of 5 years you will meet the requirements for the advanced 10 year (advance grade) credential. However this credential needs to be renewed, and HI has a somewhat complex PD renewal requirements. You can use this credential though to apply for QTS which currently is a lifetime credential and requires no PD (currently) since your teaching focus and academic preparation are in music this would have very strong utility. Applying for QTS takes about 15 minutes and is typically granted in 2 weeks.

Second, You could pursue an MA Provisional credential. This would require you to take 2 exams (MTEL exams), which are offered at test centers across the US (requiring travel). This is an entry grade credential, you would not be able to get QTS with it. The advantage is that this typically 5 year credential would effectively be a lifetime credential as long as you didnt teach in MA and thus wouldnt require any PT. The other advantage is that this route would still be available to you if your NACES evaluation indicated you didnt have a professional edu credential.
kgirl

Post by kgirl »

Thanks for all your help thus far.
Yes I am registered with the teaching council however when doing my credential evaluation that was not one of the documents that they asked for so I didn't include that.
So for HI I would be applying using the fact that I was already a teacher? I was looking it up previous but what you wrote sounds simplier than what I read. Maybe I misunderstood.
For the QTS is it only the 10 year licence that I could use to apply for it?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@kgirl

Yes, you would be applying under option D, essentially that your Jamaican qualifications and registration are the equivalent of a teaching credential. You basically apply online, and supply your supporting documents, which will mostly be the NACES evaluation, your transcripts, registration, PRAXIS and verification of experience. There is no CRB.

No either the standard (5 year) or the advanced (10 year) will qualify you for QTS.
kgirl

Post by kgirl »

Thanks much for your help @psyguy.
sun_belle

Post by sun_belle »

@psyguy I have read many of your posts re: PGCE/PGCEi and US credentialing. I wanted to ask you for some specific advice about my situation but I do not have the option to message you. Any chance you could send me a message?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@sun_belle

You can just post your inquiry here in the public forum.