Masters Degree in IT, want to teach abroad

twofromusa

Masters Degree in IT, want to teach abroad

Post by twofromusa »

Hello,
I'm new to this site, but greatly appreciate it as a resource so far!
My wife and I are hoping to move to Eastern Europe or Middle East. We're US citizens with US masters degrees and currently based in Louisiana.

She has a teaching certificate with about 7 years of teaching experience.

I don't have a teaching certificate. My bachelor's and master's degree are in information systems and I'd love to teach elementary or middle school computer classes and for us to be a teaching couple rather than my being a trailing husband.

We registered with ISS and another site and hope to move abroad for the 2020-2021 school year, which gives me about 12 months to figure out what to do, and I don't want to be an IT guy at school.

I'm looking for recommendations for doing something like Teacher Ready. I realize that Teach Now is a better program, but I’m currently employed full time and not sure if (without a current prospect of a teaching job abroad for either one of us) I can commit to quitting my job to do 3 months of student teaching required by Teach Now. Will it be of any value since I don't have teaching experience?

The other option is to do nothing and just go as a trailing spouse and do substitute teaching or some odd jobs at the school if there are any. It's not an ideal position to be in, but maybe not too bad since we don't have any other dependents going with us. In addition to working as an IT professional, I also have several years of professional photography experience (studio, event and documentary) and maybe the school will have a need for something like this as well.

In other words, I'm not too picky and definitely not afraid of any kind of work. I do put a very high value on education, especially since our society is global now.

Sorry for the long post.
Thank you!
twofromusa

Re: Masters Degree in IT, want to teach abroad

Post by twofromusa »

Didn't see where I could edit the original post, but wanted to say that we're very new to all of this and don't know what options are out there for me as a trailing husband in case Teacher Ready is not sufficient (or not recommended by you here) since we want to go abroad in a year and I will not have time to get teaching experience before we leave.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Seriously, if you have experience in IT, and have run a network (usually smaller, with about 500 - 1000 clients, 5 to 10 servers, servicing desktops and laptops, running admin for Office 365, Suite, Active Directory, etc, then why not go for tech director? Or make that your goal after getting certified. Or tech integration? Or technology trainer? Lots of options.
twofromusa

Post by twofromusa »

shadowjack wrote:
> Seriously, if you have experience in IT, and have run a network (usually
> smaller, with about 500 - 1000 clients, 5 to 10 servers, servicing desktops
> and laptops, running admin for Office 365, Suite, Active Directory, etc,
> then why not go for tech director? Or make that your goal after getting
> certified. Or tech integration? Or technology trainer? Lots of options.

Thanks for responding! Yes, I have that experience and just want a change. Would consider a technology trainer though. I'm open to lots of things, but since we're new to all of this, we just don't know what trailing spouses are able to do at a school abroad (other than substitute teach). I certainly would go crazy as a house cat without work.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

What does your spouse teach? Do you have kids?
Youre much more marketable as an IT couple than singles but thats only in so far as are you valuable to the IS or are you a benefit add the IS has to do to get your spouse?

ICT ITs either teach whole IS ICT or they split it between primary and lower secondary and upper secondary at SLL.
ICT comprise a range of skills of which computer skills are just one of them. You may find yourself with design tasks such as 3D printers since their is little to them that isnt teaching and learning the design software that crates the models to print.

You have other options but they arent very relevant if your looking for a break from the corporate ICT profession.
For a technology trainer/coach/integrationist you would need some tech edu certificates. The minority tasking of the job is less about knowing the technology but relating to the needs of ITs and selling them on how the technology is worth the work and effort and will make their jobs easier. For instance on the tech side, you have to be able to rite a script that will take the IS roster out of Power School and into Google Classroom, because if you cant and dont your going to find a lot of resistance from ITs if they have to do that typing manually, and then youve got to show them how the Google Classroom app and the Google suite of tools is going to save them time and work, which isnt going to be very effective if all you can do is show them how yet another grade book works, and assigning a worksheet though Google Classroom. How is using Google Forms for an exam going to make the ITs lives easier compared to a paper and pencil exam? You have to be able to add value in a way thats easy for them to understand and do and not just add work for them doing something different.

There are other options to Teach Now and Teach Ready, these are skills based pathways, another option is an assessment based pathway. UT and MA offer an entry grade credential. Utah would be the easiest because MA has a lot of requirements for a CSCI credential, whereas UT only requires three industry exams:
MTA Software Development Fundamentals
Oracle Certified Professional Java SE 7 Programmer I
Java Foundations
But you have to hurry, like now hurry because UT is discontinuing the APT pathway in its entirety, which ill end September 1, 2019 giving you a little more than a month. This credential is valid for three years and can be renewed.
The MA credential would require a lot more work (it has a lot of competencies you have to demonstrate) but it would effectively be a lifetime credential.
These credentials would allow you to work and explore IE without a huge resource or time commitment.
twofromusa

Post by twofromusa »

Thank you PsyGuy!

Spouse teaches art and has also taught elementary for several years. She hopes to continue teaching art, but wouldn't mind doing elementary again if art market is too tight. She loves teaching kids.

Our children are grown (in college), had them very early. It's just the 2 of us going. We figured we would do this for 8-10 years while we're still in our 40s. If it works out, maybe longer.

We're not big spenders and don't go to restaurants that often, hate shopping, love art/culture and movies, don't do high-end vacations. We would love to explore the area where we end up and definitely want to interact with the locals and learn their language. It other words, we're pretty easy going and don't require much to be happy.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@twofromusa

That does create a conundrum. An IS will sometimes create an IT vacancy for a spouse as part of the deal to get an IT, but thats usually in a high demand difficult to fill position. Art isnt one of those subject areas, and usually those created vacancies are in something like elementary, not an ICT IT. They might be willing if they were really desperate to give you some work as a technician but I doubt you want to be stuck re imaging hard drives and replacing cables. The other option would be you being the primary recruiting IT for ICT and your spouse focusing more on elementary (but art if the IS happens to have matching vacancies, there are far more elementary vacancies and opportunities than there are art). Even with a credential though you have zero experience, youre not likely to find an IS willing to give you an SLL course, unless they cant do any better, those are usually third tier ISs and even third tier ISs are going to be hesitant hiring an IT without any experience at all. They just dont know if youre anything more than a computer geek who cant relate to and transfer knowledge too children.
Its probably best if you just focus on anything and everything that youd accept offers from if they made them and once you have options decide what role your comfortable with, because its really going to all be about you. Your spouse finding an elementary or art appointment isnt a challenge, its going to be about hat your comfortable with. If a tier 2 IS has a position for your spouse but nothing for you, are you going to be comfortable with hobbies or maybe teaching ESOL at an ES, are you going to pass for a floater tier 3 IS that gives you a tech position or a bottom tier 3 IS that is willing to hire you to teach ICT but your spouse has to teach elementary and its a bottom tier 3 IS in a hardship location. A lot of your options are going to hinge on your choices, and theyre going to amount to significant differences in your overall marketability.
twofromusa

Post by twofromusa »

@PsyGuy

I'm definitely keeping my options wide open, including locations (as long as it's in Eurasia). I would even be satisfied with a part-time gig since I do have hobbies. Just researching possibilities since we're so new to this.

Thank you for responding!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@twofromusa

Okay, but how satisfied are you going to be if theres nothing? You have a great IS, a great location, great quality of life, and great savings but theres nothing for you, are you going to pass for an IS thats quality, location, lifestyle, savings are all 'meh' but theres something for you and is there a difference for you between teaching or doing something like tech service? You need to figure that out, and while staying open minded sounds great, if you would say no, if youd pass on an offer as a couple for some reason or factor than knowing that ahead of time is going to save you from wasting time (unless you really want the interview practice).
twofromusa

Post by twofromusa »

@PsyGuy

Very good point. Since we're just getting into ISs, we're looking at everything with low expectations. I can do a couple of years without a job. Maybe I can volunteer even. If after those 2 years, there's still nothing available for me at that particular IS, we move to where something is available. Right now, I'm looking at trying to sub and teaching ESOL as a backup plan. Who knows, I may enjoy ESOL to the point where that's what I do.
All other possibilities that I'm now researching, I'm qualifying as "Will do" and "Won't do".

Definitely appreciate advice - "knowing that ahead of time is going to save you from wasting time (unless you really want the interview practice").

Also trying to figure out what non-teaching jobs are generally given to locals who will not need a work visa vs me, who does need it. I'm sure that's a whole new can-o-worms that depends and varies on country, school, e.t.c.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@twofromusa

This is very broad but you can basically do anything that would be under the table or out of your home that pays in coin, think of it more as monetizing a hobby. I know one spouse who runs a business selling JP stuff from ¥100 shops online. I knew another IT who gave music lessons, who was amazing who charged USD$200-USD$300/hr. Another IT spouse who carved chess sets. An actual art IT who made stained glass. IT spouses who did child care. IT spouses who did counseling and talk therapy. I knew 2 IT spouses who did computer consulting and repair, one was moderately successful, but ended up stopping because there spare bedroom where they did the repair work grow out into the living room. The other IT was doing great until getting parts became an issue. There are IT spouses who continually worked as a consultant online with major clients all over the globe, but they had those businesses established before moving into IT.