When do schools begin hiring?

PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

That is the defacto purpose of operational definitions.
I never claimed they were my criteria, but that there were formal criteria I have provided in previous publications.
I never claimed that there were official criteria.
I never claimed that there werent official criteria.
I never claimed that there is an official list of tier 1 ISs.
I never claimed that there wasnt an official list of tier 1 ISs.
Heliotrope

Re: Reply

Post by Heliotrope »

I'm afraid your definition is at odds with that of the general populace.

> I never claimed they were my criteria, but that there were formal criteria
> I have provided in previous publications.
> I never claimed that there were official criteria.
> I never claimed that there werent official criteria.

Are you afraid to say that you think that there are (or aren't) official criteria?
And what makes the criteria you posted 'formal' criteria?

> I never claimed that there is an official list of tier 1 ISs.
> I never claimed that there wasnt an official list of tier 1 ISs.

So you're not saying anything, basically.
Again, are you afraid to say that you think that there is (or isn't) an official list?
Or are you just trolling again?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

This is why operational definitions exist.
No.
That they possess characteristics of formalness
No, Im stating that I never claimed that there is an official list of tier 1 ISs and I never claimed that there wasnt an official list of tier 1 ISs.
No.
No, I dont engage in "trolling" nor see how "carefully and systematically searching an area for something" or to "fish by trailing a baited line along behind a boat" is material or relevant.
Heliotrope

Re: Reply

Post by Heliotrope »

PsyGuy wrote:
> No.

So, do you think there are (or aren't) official criteria?

> That they possess characteristics of formalness

And what gives the criteria you posted 'characteristics of formalness'?

> No, Im stating that I never claimed that there is an official list of tier
> 1 ISs and I never claimed that there wasnt an official list of tier 1 ISs.

So are you of the opinion that there is an official list?
expatscot

Re: When do schools begin hiring?

Post by expatscot »

One thing I would say about GRC is that almost all (if not actually all) of the schools are what I would describe as "American" schools - they lean towards more of an American-style education rather than a UK one. I'd also say that there are schools in countries where I've taught which are definitely not top tier! I looked at GRC a couple of years ago but there really wasn't much of interest to me and I still can't see many outside the top schools which float my boat.
Illiane_Blues

Post by Illiane_Blues »

Def not almost all, but maybe half are American-style schools, but can't really say that's good or bad anyway. A good school is a good school and US schools usually require less prep than UK ones. Myself, I prefer ones that aren't very US or very UK.

Went through my list of dream schools, and all are on the GRC list, so tempting to register next time.
But... has anyone had a good experience with GRC, at their fairs or otherwise?
As mentioned before having good schools on your website doesn't say much if those schools don't hire through GRC.
Hope someone can give some feedback on how their 'GRC-experience' was?
I know it's free but if it won't get me into those schools I could save myself the trouble of signing up.
MusicTravel30

Post by MusicTravel30 »

It really depends. For every school there is a different answer.

A few years ago I applied to a school in Hungary in March. They told me they had finished hiring for the next year and I should try and re-submit my application in October, for the next year. I got a similar message from a second school in Poland but they said November.

However, a school I worked for was still looking for teachers in June, for the next year.

All of these schools started in mid to late August.

You could have a school that is super organized that starts looking for teachers, for the next year, well before the new year. Or you could have a school that, for whatever reason, doesn't finalize rosters even with a month to go until the new year.

I am not sure why some schools do things last minute but I am also not sure why schools would do things so far in advance. Seems to be disadvantages to both.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Illiane_Blues

GRC isnt an early entry back channel to those elite/tier 1 ISs. If you were already a superstar IT and you just needed to do the meet and greet as part of early recruiting than the GRC fair would allow you to do so without having to pay for a premium agency.

@MusicTravel30

ISs have different categories of vacancies, they may have some retirees or those whose next year is their final year and its nothing for them to give the IS early notice, allowing the IS to post a vacancy and recruit early. Typical ITs dont give notice or are required to give notice until Octoberish. Some ISs have very very low attrition/maturation and have very stable enrollments, so they can determine very quickly what their staffing needs are going to be. ISs ith moderate and high turnover and with a growing student roll require more work, and it usually takes them 1-2 months to resolve their initial recruiting objectives, which puts them on schedule for the standard peak in recruiting of January.
Psychometrika

Post by Psychometrika »

I've had one interview already for 20-21. They said they are still firming up openings, but want to have a follow-up interview in September. It's for a secondary math position in Shenzhen, China...not a tier 1 school but the salary ($60-70k+), housing, and benefits are solid enough to catch my notice.