Middle or High School?

scooter93

Middle or High School?

Post by scooter93 »

Hi everyone,

I am just wondering if there is more of an overall demand for middle or high school English teachers (Language Arts/Literature, not ESL). Just curious because I will soon be certified in grades 7-12 and intend to teach abroad once i get two years of experience in the US.

Thanks!
sid

Re: Middle or High School?

Post by sid »

There are always positions for English teachers. There are also always many English teachers available. Make sure to stick out by being a top quality teacher and having some bonus items like other subjects or coaching etc.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

It depends greatly on how you define demand, some broad generalities:

1) There are slightly more 'appointments' globally for lower secondary (JHS, middle school) than upper secondary (SHS, senior school) since qualifications (the 'diploma') in KS/K12 are at the SLL level, thus making the accreditation status far more vital and important and those programs which have a higher cost.

2) There is a marginally greater number of 'vacancies' for SLL positions globally that increases significantly for certain high demand, low candidate pool subject areas, such as maths, hard science, ICT, etc. positions. Maths for example, has significantly fewer ITs that are competent to teach calculus at SLL level, than there are ITs who are competent to teach year 6, 7 maths.

3) Many ISs will prioritize an all secondary capable IT rather than one thats limited to subject and age ranges. Such that unless theyre desperate, they arent going to seriously consider an IT with restrictions and limits to what thy can teach.

4) Its not uncommon to find lower secondary paired subjects (such as maths/science and literature/humanities) at the lower secondary level, an IT who cant meet the specifications of such a listing is going to be at a disadvantage.
scooter93

Re: Middle or High School?

Post by scooter93 »

Thanks everyone!