Edx Courses, Value and Title

Helen Back

Edx Courses, Value and Title

Post by Helen Back »

I've done a couple of Edx courses and am thinking about doing an Edx Micro Masters. Are Edx courses recognised and does having the Edx designation mean they have less value?

Although I have a particular career goal in mind (tech integation), I'm really just looking for a new reasonably priced challenge.

This is the course https://www.edx.org/micromasters/instru ... is-program

Thoughts?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

They arent from a global ivy but they are fully recognized as they would any accredited US Uni. Ive recommended EdX programs before, their high quality courses and programs, EdX doesnt make them worth less. Its a particularly good deal if you then intend to move into the UMUC Masters program.
They dont have less value, but its four courses and a certificate which isnt a degree. If your trying to market yourself with just these four courses and the micro masters certificate thats pretty lite for technology director especially if you dont have a lot of experience. If your goal is technology staff coach or similar position your going to be lower than average on technical qualifications but higher than average on understanding IT needs and the actual integration part of the role.
Are you planing on adding to the EdX micro masters qualification with anything else?
- Google, Apple, MS Educator/Teacher?
- MCSE, ACSA, Google Innovator?
- A teaching credential in CSCI or technology?
Is the goal to eventually complete a Masters in technology?
Helen Back

Re: Edx Courses, Value and Title

Post by Helen Back »

Is the goal a masters? Not sure, probably not, to be honest.. I do have Google level 1 and 2, a couple of Adobe certs, MITx Design Thinking and Common Sense Ed. cert. I'm elementary IT coordinator next year and heavily involved in our new maker room. Also teaching, albeit on an intro level, coding as a club, using microbit, makey makey and sphero.

So, at the moment a masters isn't on the cards, at least not at my current school. Hoping to move on next year.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Helen Back

Do the Apple Teacher program, it will take you a weekend, costs you nothing, you get another certificate.
https://www.apple.com/education/apple-teacher/
Then look into adding the MCE (Microsoft Certified Educator) certificate, it costs some coin and you have to schedule an exam

At that point it depends what your goals are, add the EdX program (well priced, and a modest time commitment over a year) an your int h right place to be a technology integration coach working between the IS tech department and the ITs coaching them into integrating technology into their lessons and classrooms. If your goal is more managing the tech department as tech director or as a technology coordinator your going to need some more industry tech certifications such as MCSE and ACSA and a Masters. Somewhere in between them is adding a CSCI and ICT IT credential. Theres a sizable difference between rapid deployment app coding with scripting languages such as the Java used in robotic competitions, Ruby-Rails, and Python and structured languages like C++ and VB that students in SLL ICT courses require. While there are ISs that focus entirely on scripting languages and RAD in SLL ICT courses and you could do it, Id hate to be in the position of telling a recruiter or leadership you arent competent in any structured coding languages.
As a tech director your biggest headache is going to be working with SQL more than anything else.