Attending a fair - with kids

elemtio

Attending a fair - with kids

Post by elemtio »

Hello,

I've never been to a fair, but am considering attending one from Search (pretty sure I can get an invite). However, we are a teaching couple with a 1 year old child, and no real chance of leaving our child with anyone for 3 days.

How do teaching couples with small children usually attend job fairs? I can't imagine walking into an interview with a baby, and without having anyone who can take care of such a small child I wonder how other teaching couples with babies do it...

Thanks
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

They either:

1) Plan their interviews so that one member of the couple is in the room with the child. Though paired interviews can be difficult. You can either interview separately or have one member interview for the both of you, especially if the one of the positions is the stronger position. This can make signup difficult effectively having to split signup time. Ive seen couples split the interview shuffling between the room and the hallway with the child.

2) They arrange child care at the fair site. Contact the hotel. You may also be able to find someone using either an online service, or sometimes through social media.

3) They bring a trusted caregiver with them from home, usually a family member. Especially appropriate if your not staying at the fair property.

4) Youve already said its a no for you, but leaving the child at home with a trusted caregiver, such as a family member.
elemtio

Re: Attending a fair - with kids

Post by elemtio »

Thanks PsyGuy.

Has anyone here personally done option #1 and can share their experience splitting the interview or having only one of member interview for both positions? Would love to hear from anyone who has done this and how crazy (or not) an option it is...
elizamina

Post by elizamina »

Quite honestly, I think the best thing to do is to look into babysitting at the hotel.

When my child was a baby and we went to a job fair in Bangkok, I hired a babysitter through a licensed agency. They sent me her biography, several photos, and references, so that we felt comfortable with her. She came directly to our hotel room and stayed with our baby. As you would with any babysitter, we left her a list of simple instructions. We also paid for her lunch.

This was the best option for us. It allowed us to focus fully on the fair and be present during interviews, while also letting us pop in throughout the day to check on our baby. It worked out nicely for all.

(And yes, we left the fair with jobs.)
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

My friends did the same - had a babysitter for the kids. One set of friends did something similar - except it was grandma's Christmas holiday with the fair tacked on the end and grandma looking after baby.
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

I agree with the babysitting option at the hotel. Once you are at an international school you'll need to find care for your child anyway, especially for induction week/s. Why not start gently with some babysitting at home for short periods to get him or her used to it. Once your child is reassured you will return they will be much more comfortable being left during the time at the fair.