Work permit rejected... help!

straycat2019

Re: Work permit rejected... help!

Post by straycat2019 »

@GrumblesMcGee and PsyGuy

Thank you guys for all your input and feedback.
Some updates...
Yes, I have signed the modified contract that they have requested. Although yeah, they have added some unexpected duties like being a homeroom teacher and club advisor (they didnt explain much) but I suspect that the workload cannot be ridiculous. It may turn out to be, maybe? But I have worked in many SK companies and cram schools and they were the worst... not to say or complain about my past work places but I have worked more than 12 hours nonstop overloaded with just a lot of work. I hope that is not the case with this school.

So after signing the modified contract, the school reapplied for my work permit and told me it looks optimistic. They would let me know by tomorrow. Once I get the work permit, how long will it get to apply for the visa and what documents I need to prepare? Would it be basically just a "free pass" to get a visa once the work permit is issued?

I wish I could apply for other schools but now I know that I would need to get the teaching credential first. So once I get approved, I would start applying and studying for the tests to get me that MA credential. That is my plan now.

I'm not sure what I would do once I get denied. Hope that doesnt happen - will let you know by tomorrow!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@straycat2019

Well things can always be ridiculous, and the IS should not be using this opportunity to inflate your contract and instructional hours, but HRT and ASP duties are typical in IE.

With your resume in ESOL a work permit should be really close to a sure thing, the only issue would possibly be that the MOE wants a professional edu credential for ESOL just as they would for literature. There are a LOT of ETs in TW working in ESOL who have only a first/bachelors degree.

The visa will be a formality once you have the work permit, it takes about two weeks, but some people get it within a few days and some take a month. Its more the printing, posting and getting to the embassy/consulate than anything else that takes time. They send you the work permit and your invitation letter and then you take those to the consulate/embassy to get the visa placed in your passport. When you arrive in Taiwan you will then apply for an ARC, which is your residence card. Once you have the ARC you can freely move into and out of Taiwan and will use it to conduct all your business instead of your passport.

There are actually a lot of third tier ISs that would have hired and employed you with the qualifications that you have.
straycat2019

Post by straycat2019 »

They have rejected my work permit because I wasn't a native speaker. I guess they don't want me.
I'm going to work on getting the credential and I'm going to send an email to ISS-Schrole what this school has done to me.
I'm not sure this school even belong to any tier. What would be considered a tier 3 school and how do you know?
Which one shall I use? ISS-Schrole or Search Associates?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@straycat2019

They didnt want you, they wanted a literature IT who could get a visa to teach literature, and they wont or cant wait to see if you would get the credential needed by the start of the ISs AY.
straycat2019

Post by straycat2019 »

@PsyGuy

So, I'm scheduled to take the MTEL exams in a few days, both MTEL Comm & Lit and English subject test.

Since I'm working at a cram school, I really think this isn't going to help me, other than earning money. Also, I'm so overloaded with work each day that I just have no time to prep for tests. So, I have applied for some schools but had no luck. I'm looking at ISS_Schrole database and I really can't tell if I should go ahead and apply for English teaching position - after I've gone through the visa issue with IS in Taiwan. I remember you said that with my qualifications, I could get into some lower tier schools. Can you tell me how? How do you know if a school is a lower tier? Even if I apply for an IS on Schrole after I pass the exam, I would have to work somewhere before the actual semester starts 2020-2021.

Thanks in advance.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@straycat2019

A credential isnt going to do much for a cram ES other than maybe getting you an increase on the salary scale.

Your confidence took a hit, you got an IT appointment without a credential at all, where it not for the immigration and accreditation issue youd be there by now. Adding a credential is going to significantly improve your marketability to ISs, even without any KS/K12 experience at lower third tier ISs. You got an appointment with nothing having the credential will give you something.

How? The same way you did before. Once you add the credential to your resume you apply to all the vacancies you can in locations your willing to relocate too using ISS-Schrole and whatever agencies, and job services you were or are using.

There are still vacancies out there, but yes by the time you complete the NACES evaluation and apply for the credential and its issued after passing the exams its going to be pretty late and your probably going to have to focus on 2020. There are places in Asia such as China that are recruiting all year round and yes most of them are going to be ESOL, but even moving to a KS/K12 DS and teaching ESOL is going to be better than teaching in a cram ES. The peak of IE recruiting starts in January, so if you relocated somewhere now for the fall term 2019 you could have a reference from a principal or senior leadership in January. Being somewhere like China where youre already local in a region that has a lot of vacancies puts you in a position to swoop in and save the day. Whats going to happen is there are going to be ITs that pull a runner sometime between the start of the AY and the winter holiday and an IS needs someone now, and they just wont be able to be selective.