Online or 'blended' masters degrees?

TeacherGal

Online or 'blended' masters degrees?

Post by TeacherGal »

I have a masters degree in education which was completed entirely online but would like to pursue another one. My understanding is that a masters degrees done face to face on campus makes one more marketable than one completed online. I have heard of some which are a combination, I think the term is 'blended'. Would completing a blended masters degree make a teacher that much more marketable than completing one done entirely online? If so, are there any recommended institutions offering blended masters degrees in education?
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Online or 'blended' masters degrees?

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Other opinions may differ but I would say that it does not really matter all that much whether your masters is online, face to face or blended. I have a masters that was totally online but you would not know it from looking at my diploma or transcripts (unless there is some secret code that I am unaware of) and it never was an issue that stopped me (or was even mentioned) from getting any of my jobs or obtaining a visa.

If it concerns you, then make sure you go with a university that has a brick and mortar component and is not just/primarily an online entity. (e.g. U. of Phoenix).

In general, it seems like where you obtained your degree from does not matter that much unless it happens to be from a very elite school, is from a school recognized for that particular field and/or someone in the interview process also went there.
sid

Post by sid »

Agreed.
One extra point. There are a very limited number of places that don’t recognize online degrees. However they don’t have a system to really know how a degree was earned. Something from U of Phoenix is a dead giveaway, but who would know if you used online courses at a uni that is more typically face to face?
shadylane

Post by shadylane »

I know it's an old fashioned idea, but how about picking a masters based on the quality of the course?
sid

Post by sid »

Of course, but that wasn’t the question.
TeacherGal

Post by TeacherGal »

There are a few universities which are only online. Glad I didn't go to U of Pheonix if it's such a dead give away!

I don't really know how to tell if a program is quality or not. I have heard of people doing graduate degrees in education from ivy league schools and thought they were crap. But, that's a valuable degree.

I agree that I don't think it really matters to a prospective employer. It's either a run of the mill uni in which they won't care or a prestigious uni in which they might expect a little more from you or plug your degree as a selling point parents, etc.

By the way one of my interests lies in Spec Ed. if anyone happens to know of a good program online or blended.
shadylane

Post by shadylane »

TeacherGal wrote: > I don't really know how to tell if a program is quality or not.

Some schools give bios of all their staff, including what degrees they have and where they got them from.

Might be worth looking at some of the good and less good schools to see if there are any patterns ?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

The rule is in IE that a Masters is Masters is a Masters unless the Uni is one of the global ivys or the recruiter/leadership is an alumni.
The only other significant issue is that some regions and ISs dont recognize online degree programs either in part from traditional Unis that offer full online/distance programs or from Unis that are entirely virtual campuses.
The advantage of the traditional Uni online/distance program is that it can be very difficult to determine if the degree was studied online or classroom delivery. Its obvious the degree program was studied online when the Uni, such as U. Phoenix is entirely a virtual Uni.
Unless youre going to repeat your edu Masters at a global ivy, you would be wasting your coin and resources if the goal is simply to do a degree program in a brick and mortar, F2F classroom environment.

Blended or Hybrid Masters programs typically include an online/distance component of the course that you study during the fall and spring terms and then have a summer residency component where you travel to a location to attend seminars and workshops with faculty and classmates for a few weeks to a couple months. Oxford has an M.Sc in Teacher Education that combines online/distance study over 4 units with 1 week residency for each unit.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

TeacherGal wrote:

> By the way one of my interests lies in Spec Ed. if anyone happens to know
> of a good program online or blended.
================
Grand Canyon University has a very good SPED program (definitely online, don't know about blended).
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@TeacherGal

I would suggest that if SPED/SEN/LD is your goal you find a degree program that will provide a professional credential in a state that offers a leadership credential in director of SPED/SEN/LD, allowing you to do SPED/SEN/LD and leadership in the same degree. A Masters should ideally do more for you than get you into a classroom, and you already have a Masters in Education, if your going to do another Masters in Education you should ideally be pursuing a program that will qualify you to do something you cant do now. The options tend to be leadership/administration/management (an Ed.Ld credential), counselor/psychologist, librarian or technology (director).
TeacherGal

Re: Reply

Post by TeacherGal »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @TeacherGal
>
> I would suggest that if SPED/SEN/LD is your goal you find a degree program
> that will provide a professional credential in a state that offers a
> leadership credential in director of SPED/SEN/LD, allowing you to do
> SPED/SEN/LD and leadership in the same degree. A Masters should ideally do
> more for you than get you into a classroom, and you already have a Masters
> in Education, if your going to do another Masters in Education you should
> ideally be pursuing a program that will qualify you to do something you
> cant do now. The options tend to be leadership/administration/management
> (an Ed.Ld credential), counselor/psychologist, librarian or technology
> (director).

Psyguy this intereste me doing SPED and leadership. I assume that would be more applicable to a very large school which has many SPED teachers. Most schools I've worked in were lucky to have one SPED teacher. Do you know of any reputable institutions offering this type of masters degree?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@TeacherGal

Typically, its a district or LEA position in DE, in IE ISs with large SPED/SEN/LD departments are coordinated at the junior leadership level by the HOD. There are some ISs that have AP/VP/DP senior leaders in SPED/SEN/LD. From a practical standpoint its being able to spin yourself into both SPED/SEN/LD classroom and support positions and also into leadership appointments with one degree (2 birds 1 stone).
MA has such a credential its an administrative credential in Special Education Administrator. Meeting the requirements would get you an initial credential that would effectively be a lifetime credential assuming you never worked in MA. The requirements in addition to the post-bach program are a bachelors degree, a teaching credential in SPED/SEN/LD, passing the MTEL in communication and literacy and three years FTE experience in a K12/KS edu position (it need not be SPED/SEN/LD).

If you arent interested in the credential than something like Uni. Portsmouth in the UK has a M.Res that would let you put together the Ed.Ld courses and their SEN/SPED/LD course all for about USD$5K online or you could do their M.Sc in Ed.Ld for about USD$8K and just add an extra course in SPED/SEN/LD. Both programs are online/distance education.
The M.Res is less expensive and allows for more customization allowing you to focus more in SPED/SEN/LD but has a much larger research component. The Ed.Ld M.Sc has a much smaller research component and more taught subject units. Regardless of which one you choose you could then take the SLLA exam with 2 or 4 years of classroom teaching experience apply for the DC administrator credential.
aridion

Post by aridion »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @TeacherGal
>
> Typically, its a district or LEA position in DE, in IE ISs with large SPED/SEN/LD
> departments are coordinated at the junior leadership level by the HOD. There are
> some ISs that have AP/VP/DP senior leaders in SPED/SEN/LD. From a practical standpoint
> its being able to spin yourself into both SPED/SEN/LD classroom and support positions
> and also into leadership appointments with one degree (2 birds 1 stone).
> MA has such a credential its an administrative credential in Special Education Administrator.
> Meeting the requirements would get you an initial credential that would effectively
> be a lifetime credential assuming you never worked in MA. The requirements in addition
> to the post-bach program are a bachelors degree, a teaching credential in SPED/SEN/LD,
> passing the MTEL in communication and literacy and three years FTE experience in
> a K12/KS edu position (it need not be SPED/SEN/LD).
>
> If you arent interested in the credential than something like Uni. Portsmouth in
> the UK has a M.Res that would let you put together the Ed.Ld courses and their
> SEN/SPED/LD course all for about USD$5K online or you could do their M.Sc in Ed.Ld
> for about USD$8K and just add an extra course in SPED/SEN/LD. Both programs are
> online/distance education.
> The M.Res is less expensive and allows for more customization allowing you to focus
> more in SPED/SEN/LD but has a much larger research component. The Ed.Ld M.Sc has
> a much smaller research component and more taught subject units. Regardless of
> which one you choose you could then take the SLLA exam with 2 or 4 years of classroom
> teaching experience apply for the DC administrator credential.

I do know that Portsmouth has a distance learning Master in Educational Leadership, however I haven't heard of their M.Res course and it isn't on their website.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@aridion

You can find it here:
https://www.port.ac.uk/study/courses/mr ... l-sciences

Its basically a research M.Phil for those who need to learn how to do research before doing a thesis but theres an option to study on a course for about a third of the program. Its available online/distance education and can be completed in a year, its about half the cost of the Ed.Ld M.Sc.
aridion

Post by aridion »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @aridion
>
> You can find it here:
> https://www.port.ac.uk/study/courses/mr ... l-sciences
>
> Its basically a research M.Phil for those who need to learn how to do research before
> doing a thesis but theres an option to study on a course for about a third of the
> program. Its available online/distance education and can be completed in a year,
> its about half the cost of the Ed.Ld M.Sc.

Thanks for the link. Much appreciated.