Search Associates vs ISS Schrole (Benefits)

Spawnboy99

Search Associates vs ISS Schrole (Benefits)

Post by Spawnboy99 »

So have applied for a job that is currently advertised on both sites. Their list of benefits is way off. S/A is higher and when having the interview the amounts that kind of got talked about is also off. Doesn't this seem unfair and how do we make the above recruitment agencies be accountable for not updating their database? Have told the person that was interviewing me that the benefits listed aren't accurate and for that reason would need to negotiate to make it beneficial.

Anyone else faced this problem.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Those IS profiles are entirely supplied from data the IS provides. They can put in whatever they ant. The premium agencies send them a notice to update it, but they dont have to substantiate or support any of the data they put in.
Some of them are also very difficult for an IS to complete accurately, "savings potential" for example, one IT can be really frugal and have considerable savings, another IT can live very lavishly and spend everything and not save anything at all. Which is accurate.
You cant really trust anything in an ISs profile, at best you can look at the profiles of ISs in a region and get an idea of what the salary scale is for the region and what is typical for an OSH package.

We dont make the recruiting and premium agencies accountable, ITs arent the client, their the commodity. You should be grateful that the IS gives any information at all. Youre not going to make them do anything.
Heliotrope

Re: Response

Post by Heliotrope »

PsyGuy wrote:
> Those IS profiles are entirely supplied from data the IS provides. They can
> put in whatever they ant. The premium agencies send them a notice to update
> it, but they dont have to substantiate or support any of the data they put
> in.
> Some of them are also very difficult for an IS to complete accurately,
> "savings potential" for example, one IT can be really frugal and
> have considerable savings, another IT can live very lavishly and spend
> everything and not save anything at all. Which is accurate.
> You cant really trust anything in an ISs profile, at best you can look at
> the profiles of ISs in a region and get an idea of what the salary scale is
> for the region and what is typical for an OSH package.
>
> We dont make the recruiting and premium agencies accountable, ITs arent the
> client, their the commodity. You should be grateful that the IS gives any
> information at all. Youre not going to make them do anything.

I agree with @PsyGuy (it happens every now and then).
Agencies shouldn't let ISs list the savings potential, but rather combine the school's salary with cost of living data from (for example) Numbeo to calculate savings potential, based on an average lifestyle, and perhaps link to the Numbeo data for that city. But that would be too much work I guess.
I've seen two ISs in the same city and neighborhood, with about the same salary & benefits, quote very different savings potentials (as in a 10,000 USD difference per year).

Also, if they receive feedback from ITs that the salary a school lists is incorrect, they should investigate.

But I agree that these agencies probably don't care too much about this info not being correct in some profiles.

I've also seen the quoted salary being lower than the actual salary btw.
Thames Pirate

Re: Search Associates vs ISS Schrole (Benefits)

Post by Thames Pirate »

I agree; it's great to have a range, but if three schools pay the same in Euros, one might put the Euros amount of 53K but that this is taxed at 40% while the other puts 30K and that this is not taxed and a third might put 60K because it is converting to USD. This can look very confusing. We have found it's easiest to talk directly with the schools (possibly using the listing as a baseline) and to look at the place from a perspective of wanting to teach there. If we have interviews or are applying for jobs somewhere, we do a bit of research beforehand--looking at Numbeo, for example, or actual costs of rent, key hobbies, etc. That way we can do some rough math and decide what our minimums are before we get to the negotiation/offer stage.
shadylane

Post by shadylane »

It can't be that much of a challenge for schools to be given a space where they can just upload their pay scales and benefit details ?
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Schools prefer the ambiguity because it keeps people interested and makes it harder for their staffs to compare to others in the same city or region and negotiate for more.

ETA: I am not anti-admin. I understand the sentiment fully. I am also a union person. I suppose as long as the admin are upfront during negotiations, it's their choice. Also, local laws may play a role.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@shadylane

ISs could do all that now, theres free form text entry and all they would need to do is list two columns. Thats not in the ISs best interests, those IS profiles are marketing, its in the ISs interests to make them as positive as they are comfortable with.