Which state offers a teaching license to a PGCEi holder?

Elysium82

Which state offers a teaching license to a PGCEi holder?

Post by Elysium82 »

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if a PGCEi can lead to a US teaching license for someone who is abroad. I am in China and I would remain here for another year or so, but I would like to apply online and get a US teaching license. My questions are the following:

1, Which state in the US offer a license to a PGCEi holder?
2, Can it be done online?
3, If it is an initial license, can it be upgraded after a certain number of years?

Thank you.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Ive written extensively about this in the past.

Assuming youre not a US citizen, there is one US state option and its the experiential pathway offered by CT. CT is one of the few states (CA is another one for example) that will accept experience as an alternative to an EPP/ITT program. You still need to have the academic background in education, which is what the PGCEi accomplishes, but if you have acceptable experience (and more experience is better) you can get an initial (entry grade) credential, if you have enough experience you can even get a provisional (professional grade) credential. You also have to meet the other requirements including the PRAXIS exams and a CRB. CT DOE has become more selective about what they ant in a foreign candidate. Fewer applicants with 2 years in an IS and the PGCEi have been awarded the initial credential.

You can do the application online, but youll have to take the PRAXIS exams at a testing center.

Yes, you can transition to HI and receive the HI standard (professional grade) credential after three years of teaching under the CT initial credential.
mlamb311

Re: Which state offers a teaching license to a PGCEi holder?

Post by mlamb311 »

I am a US citizen with a PGCEi from University of Buckingham (it had both a written and weekly observation component). I'm now in my 7th year of full time teaching (5 years in Mexican National Curriculum and 2 years in IMYC/Chinese National Curriculum). Two of those years in Mexico I was a middle school coordinator in addition to maintaining some teaching duties. Based on how your responded to Elysium82, I understand that I could apply for the CT professional grade license (meaning I wouldn't have to use it to apply for official HI license)? I just took Middle School Social Studies Praxis today in China and likely passed.

Do you know of anyone who has successfully obtained the fully CT license? Any specific recommendations for making it happen?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@mlamb311

Observational components of ITT/EPP programs dont mean anything and arent worth anything. Field work matters.

Its likely none of your experience (none of it being US curriculum experience) is likely to meet the requirements for the CT Provisional (professional grade) credential, you may be able to use it to get the Initial (entry grade) credential.
You cant use the PGCEi to obtain a HI credential directly. You could use the PGCEi to possibly obtain a CT credential vie the experiential pathway using your prior experience and the PGCEi to meet the academic requirements along with the PRAXIS exams and then use that to obtain a respective HI credential.

Yes, but its become increasingly uncommon.
chemteacher101

Post by chemteacher101 »

Curious about this. If a NACES evaluation were to find his PGCEi equivalent to teacher training within a specific age range and field, would the OP not be able to get a HI license?

Not all NACES evaluation services are equal. Speaking from personal experience, I have seen different NACES evaluators reach different conclusions based on the same credentials.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@chemteacher101

Yes they would, but that wont happen. All of the NACES evaluators, even SPANTRAN (widely known as the most relaxed and liberal evaluator) knows that a PGCEi isnt QTS or registration. The two are not synonymous with one another and all the NACES credential evaluators know that. It might have been possible many years ago when the PGCEi first came on the scene and one of the UK Unis had a branch campus in China, that slipped through the cracks, but those times are long past.

I have as well, WES is the most widely accepted but they tend to be very rigid in cases for example where an IT/DT has a degree and the degree itself is the credential to teach in the regulated (public/maintained) HORs DE system, whereas SPANTRAN on the other end of the spectrum tends to be more liberal, their evaluations are less commonly accepted.
chemteacher101

Post by chemteacher101 »

I disagree with your last statement. Most states accept any evaluator as long as it is NACES accredited. Since SPANTRAN is NACES accredited, it would be accepted just like WES.

There may be s couple of exceptions, but for the most part, it works just as well. Works for HI, CT, MA which are the most common pathways mentioned in these forums.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@chemteacher101

You can disagree all you want. States vary in regard to which NACES organization evaluations they will accept, and even within states various agencies have differing lists of acceptable NACES evaluators.
For example, all states accept WES, but CA does not accept SPANTRAN
https://www.ctc.ca.gov/docs/default-sou ... b4f6e6a_12
chemteacher101

Post by chemteacher101 »

Good for them.
And I am happy you recognise I can disagree. I would love to see a state listing they accept NACES approved evaluators, but prefer only some of them, I haven't seen this.

As mentioned earlier, most common pathways mentioned in this forum for non Americans would take SPANTRAN.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@chemteacher101

Your welcome.
My post didnt specifically address only non-US applicants. Your post may have been specific to non-US applicants but mine wasnt.
Of the four most often discussed in reference to non-US applicants seeking US credentialing HI, DC, MA, CT all accept SPANTRAN.
chemteacher101

Post by chemteacher101 »

Yes, my post referred to non US applicants, totally agree. There are exceptions, but it is Non US applicants who are concerned about NACES evaluations given...well, the fact they are not US graduates.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@chemteacher101

US applicants are also concerned with NACES evaluations as they also study and obtain degrees and other qualifications and credentials from outside of the US. Likewise, non-US citizens who are foreign students also study in the US and they dont require NACES evaluations of their US degrees and qualifications or credentials.
chemteacher101

Post by chemteacher101 »

I am sure there are some that fall in those categories you mention. I would be curious as to what percentage out to of people interested in NACES evaluations they would represent though.

But yes PsyGuys, you are correct in that there are some non US teachers who study in the US and some US teachers who study outside of the US.