Breaking contract + finding new position in June

canadhist

Breaking contract + finding new position in June

Post by canadhist »

For schools that are hiring this late in the school year, would they consider hiring an applicant who was open about breaking contract at their current school?
How else can anyone be applying for a job at this point?
ie) If I am currently under contract for next school year at School A, and have recently decided that I would like to change schools, would School B, whom I assume is pretty desperate to fill a vacancy at this time of year, be willing to look past my breaking my current contract?
Heliotrope

Re: Breaking contract + finding new position in June

Post by Heliotrope »

What is the reason that you're breaking contract?
secondplace

Post by secondplace »

Would depend how, when and why you broke contract.

If you negotiated this in good time, and were open and honest with your school, then maybe.

If you were breaking it for this late posted position, then no.
sid

Post by sid »

It greatly depends. If you’re leaving Sudan, I’m pretty willing to extend my sympathy. If the situation is less dire, more precious, don’t expect the same.
Of course, where/why you’re leaving is only part of the story. the other side of the coin is the school that’s hiring. And as you pointed out, they may be desperate. Or poor quality. And poor quality schools are more likely to be desperate, so perhaps both. Be careful of frying pan and fire situations.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Depends how desperate they are, and what their values are. There are ISs that dont care about pouching ITs under contract from other ISs. The how, why, and hen, etc. might shift that position in your favor depending on the circumstances.
Why be open about it though, unless your repped by a premium agency and the ISs are also repped by the same agency, there really isnt any benefit for you in disclosing that.

ITs that were holding out for the EU, didnt get that coveted top tier ISs in January, so they waited for the Spring EU push in the ccyle and as its winding down their desired outcomes continue to shrink to the point that come June they really just need an appointment.
ISs that non-renewed very late. There are ITs getting their walking orders just now.
ITs that dont understand the cycle in IE, and think it follows the DE cycle, so they are looking for ISs over the summer holiday.