Accept mediocre offer or wait?

DomeVet

Accept mediocre offer or wait?

Post by DomeVet »

I have a couple of offers from mediocre to possibly low schools in terms of their benefit packages and other criteria such as reviews. I have more than 10 years experience, a masters in education and good references but only started looking a few weeks ago as I changed my plans for the coming year. I'm looking for an elementary homeroom vacancy. Is not accepting an offer now a big risk? Are some recruiting agencies better than others or used more for late in the season searches by schools? I'm a little concerned.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

What are your options if this is the best you get, and you decline?
Are you being repped by a premium agency?
What is your plan if you accept one or some of the offers moving forward?

The AY recruiting cycle for 2019 is near the end. Peak recruiting is in January, early recruiting starts in October, the EU has a spring push that starts in May and is in the middle of recruiting right now. If you have an EU passport and the E is where you want to go, and your low tier ISs are in hardship parts of Asia, the ME, or the LCSA than you can probably get something you would like in the WE. If not this is the summer shuffle hen the bottom tier hardship ISs actually make their appointments and their deals, and last minute emergency placements. Thats the real question your asking, whats the risk you wait for a fantastic last minute primary HRT appointment that actually materializes and you get vs. taking what you have. Thats a really big gamble every year and lots of ITs do it, and a lot of them end up unsuccessful. What your saying is you have FOMO, everyone gets that at some time.

The safe play is accepting one of the offers you have as a safety IS, maybe trying to get some concessions out of them (such as a 1 year contract) and plan on that appointment but keeping yourself open to that emergency, last minute opportunity and be ready to withdraw your acceptance with the safety IS if that opportunity materializes.