Bad Timing

kellysensei

Bad Timing

Post by kellysensei »

Has anyone else seen a job posting that sounds amazing, but it's just bad timing?

My family and I would ultimately like to live in Japan, although we'd consider some other parts of Asia first, as a stepping stone. I'm fully aware I'm a long-shot, because I have a non-teaching spouse (who plans to work in some way, shape, or form wherever we move) and two kids. I'm a licensed K-12 ESL teacher with a Master's degree, and I've lived in Japan before.

I just saw a job posting for an ESL teacher in Japan at a newly-opened Japanese public Jr/Sr high school. The salary and benefits look very good, and they will pay for my spouse's flights (and mine, of course) not only initially but annually. And the icing on the cake is that they'll pay 100% of the tuition for both of my kids to attend a nearby international school (which is affiliated with the public school).

The trouble is, they've just posted this position (as far as I know), and they want the candidate to start August 1! I don't think I can get my life and my house in order in just seven weeks...the timing is terrible! I can't believe they're posting an overseas position so late in the game. I'm so disappointed it probably won't work out for us. I'm completely qualified for the job, and it sounds like they're willing to accept a non-teaching spouse and kids, but I haven't applied...should I?! We weren't planning on moving until next year.

Has anyone else been disappointed to have to let an opportunity go?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Every year at the BOS fair their are to speeches that you hear, the big speech about your word is your bond, and then the side comment about about making sure you have an offer before you get excited about an offer. Having a recruiter say "you would be a great addition to our school" is not an offer, its flattery... Why that, because you dont even have that, you dont have an offer, you dont have an interview, you havent submitted an application, all youve done is read a vacancy. Of course you should absolutely make an application. First, even if you arent really available now to take the position, they are a new DS and they are likely to have vacancies in the near future as their DS grows. Second, this is going to be an easier time to get face time and access to the recruiter/leadership, maybe they can extend you an offer now for next year, if youre so awesome. Third, why spend the 5 minutes writing this inquiry if you hadnt at least computed one scenario where you could make this work over the next 6 weeks. Fourth, whats your loss and cost in sending them your application materials?
Thames Pirate

Re: Bad Timing

Post by Thames Pirate »

It doesn't sound like leaving is about commitments as much as it is organisation. My thought is that you should apply. It will not hurt, and you might learn a lot through the process. If the offer is one you think you should take, you will realise that you CAN actually get your life together and move that quickly. It takes some work, sure, but don't let the size of the task intimidate you out of pursuing what you want.

Consider that you may find you don't like the offer after all (assuming one is made). Then you have peace of mind that you didn't miss out. Or maybe you won't get the job.

Consider that you may find it's your dream job. You take it and end up happier than you could have imagined, and the only price was a bit of stress packing up to move.

Or you get the job, pass on it, and decide it was the right call or that you end up regretting the choice. Then it's about your fear.

The only downside is if you don't apply or let your fear rule.
sid

Post by sid »

If organizing back home is the issue, you could always leave your husband behind for a few weeks to finish it up. Considering the imminent start date, the school is likely to be happy to support this.
secondplace

Post by secondplace »

Considering the short turnaround time I would hope that the school would be extra supportive of you and your family with the paperwork etc. that they can assist with.

This may also include them being flexible with the start date to help you get things organised. They should have a good sense of how quickly things can be organised on their end with visas etc. and what is doable.

If you have the flexibility on your end in terms of commitments - work, housing etc. - to make a swift move then you have nothing to lose by applying and, potentially, a dream job to gain.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Spawnboy99

Post by Spawnboy99 »

Trust me don't be fooled, there is no such thing as free education in Japan. The only way it's free if it falls under a scholarship anything different from that you will be paying the tax on the education fee which can be very high depending on the school and its yearly fees. This is from someone that has lived and taught in Japan for over 10 years married to a Japanese and has permanent visa
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@secondplace

Its going to take the IS a month if theyre lucky to obtain COEs to obtain visas as it is.

@Spawnboy99

They at least have the option of paying the tax on the tuition/fee waivers/places or enrolling their children in a DS which would be free.
kellysensei

Post by kellysensei »

Thanks, everyone, for the input. I've decided not to apply, because it just isn't in the cards to move this year, and I don't think it's fair to the school's admin to apply when I'm not 100% serious about it (yet).

I need to finalize my resume and cover letter(s) this summer, do some more research on schools and the IB program, and do some repairs/updates to my house in the coming year so that I'm completely ready to apply for a 20-21 position. I'll be ready to make a last-minute move next year, but not this year.

And since it is a new school, they'll be growing in the coming years and who knows, maybe they'll need another ESL teacher next year. :-)
Spawnboy99

Re: Reply

Post by Spawnboy99 »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @secondplace
>
> Its going to take the IS a month if theyre lucky to obtain COEs to obtain
> visas as it is.
>
> @Spawnboy99
>
> They at least have the option of paying the tax on the tuition/fee
> waivers/places or enrolling their children in a DS which would be free.

@PsyGuy. No such thing as free education in Japan including the public school setting. Also as Gaijin in a public school brings on a whole lot of other ve- experience.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@Spawnboy99

Yes, there is compulsory school which includes elementary and JHS is absolutely free (aside from paying taxes) in the regulated DE setting.