Becoming a subject teacher at international schools. How?

Elysium82

Becoming a subject teacher at international schools. How?

Post by Elysium82 »

Hey guys,

The subject of this post is kind of vague. I have a BA in English and Spanish, plus I have just obtained my PGCEi (went down the British route of becoming an ESL teacher).

I have been working as an ESL teacher for 10 years, but I wouldn't mind studying a little bit more (online) and becoming an IT teacher. Googling the "how to become a subject teacher after a BA" did not help me much.

Has anyone done an online course that helped him/her become a subject teacher?

Cheers
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Well youve got 10 years experience, you could look at doing the AO route to QTS.

There are three US routes for a foreign applicant. You could do an EPP/ITT program through Teach Now. That will get you a DC professional grade credential, which is a 4 year renewable credential. It costs about USD$6K. Its a year of online/distance work while working in an IS for 3 months as your field experience requirement. You will also have to take 3 PRAXIS assessment exams as part of the program.

You could apply for a MA Provisional (entry grade) credential. This would require you to take two exams (MTEL) in addition to an NACES evaluation and a first/bachelors degree. It would effectively be a lifetime credential, you wouldnt have to renew.

You could apply for a CT initial (entry grade) or possibly the provisional (professional grade) credential. CT is one of the few states (CA is another one for example) that will accept experience as an alternative to an EPP/ITT program. You still need to have the academic background in education, which is what the PGCEi accomplishes, but if you have acceptable experience (and more experience is better) you can get an initial (entry grade) credential, if you have enough experience you can even get a provisional (professional grade) credential. You also have to meet the other requirements including the PRAXIS exams and a CRB. CT DOE has become more selective about what they ant in a foreign candidate. Fewer applicants with 2 years in an IS and the PGCEi have been awarded the initial credential.
Thames Pirate

Re: Becoming a subject teacher at international schools. How

Post by Thames Pirate »

Besides having certification?

PsyGuy is the resident expert on all things certification, but you can also just start looking while you work on the credential. Sometimes you can get the experience without it or as an intern/TA appointment.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Elysium82

I agree with @Thames Pirate, we get a number of readers who are working in IE who dont have a credential.