Different type of students at boarding schools?

Heliotrope

Different type of students at boarding schools?

Post by Heliotrope »

Most international schools have predominantly or exclusively students from (very) rich parents. Being brought up in an environment where wealth is the norm can sometimes lead to a sense of entitlement, or other personality traits that can be attributed to growing up in a gold-plated bubble.
Of course, I'm well aware there are plenty of exceptions, and most of my students have been truly great, including some that exemplify these traits to the fullest.

But I was wondering if boarding school students (on average) are a different category altogether.
It must take a certain type of parent to want to send your child to a boarding school, and such parents might have a certain type of child.

Are there any of you that have taught at both 'normal' ISs and at boarding schools that can share their observations?
Or would the rest of you care to make an educated guesses, repeat hearsay, etc.?

I'm not expecting much feedback, but it's worth a try – I was once offered a job at a boarding school and politely passed, but always wondered what type of students typically attends, and how different (or not) they are, and in what way.
Illiane_Blues

Re: Different type of students at boarding schools?

Post by Illiane_Blues »

My former house mate from uni teaches at a boarding school in a mountainous European country, and the stories he tells are craaaazy. Almost all these kids have mental problems. But they are filthy rich so they get away with anything. 'Mental problems' are labelled as 'eccentricities'. None of the kids have a healthy relationship with their busy busy father. They are all bright, but majority has issues. Not for me, boarding schools.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

I've noticed it and just assumed it's because rich people are different but apparently it's a whole thing:

https://www.ibblaw.co.uk/insights/blog/ ... al-effects
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Ive seen both though the drama scenario is more common. It depends how much contact you have with the boarding side of the IS, but boarding students are capable of keeping their house life out of the classroom as much as any student compartmentalizes their home life.
expatscot

Post by expatscot »

You only have to look at politics in the UK to see the kind of potential f***-up boarding school education can cause.

David Cameron, George Osborne, Boris Johnson, I'm looking at you.......
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@ expatscot

Cameron wasnt that bad, and May didnt go to a boarding DS.
Heliotrope

Re: Reply

Post by Heliotrope »

> Cameron wasnt that bad

That's also what the pig said...
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

The pig was right.
Heliotrope

Re: Comment

Post by Heliotrope »

PsyGuy wrote:
> The pig was right.

Either you don't know the story about Cameron and the pig, or you know David very, very, VERY well...
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Everyone knows pig gate.
Heliotrope

Re: Comment

Post by Heliotrope »

PsyGuy wrote:
> Everyone knows pig gate.

Except the pig.