Breaking Contracts

sid

Re: Breaking Contracts

Post by sid »

Indeed.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Sid

Really, how many countries cant you get some kind of CRB or good conduct letter. Im sure there are a couple out there but its far from the majority and isnt even significant minority.
Its not the ITs job to obtain them either. Its your ISs requirement, not the ITs, you dont have to appoint and they dont have to apply, accept or entertain you.
sid

Post by sid »

I suppose that means you won’t be applying to my school. How best to express my reaction?
Aw shucks? No.
Tears? Really no.
Fist bumps with the rest of my leadership team? Getting closer...
Yippee.
Yep, that’s about right.
Yip, yip, yippee!!!!
Heliotrope

Re: Reply

Post by Heliotrope »

PsyGuy wrote:
> Really, how many countries cant you get some kind of CRB or good conduct
> letter. Im sure there are a couple out there but its far from the majority
> and isnt even significant minority.

Are you saying there are many countries where you CAN get a police certificate (I assume that's what you mean by CRB?), or many countries where you CAN'T get one?
Sorry, it's unclear.
Anyway, so far in all countries I've lived I've had no problem getting one, including two developing countries, one of which is in the bottom 10 of the development index (the other bottom 20). The biggest problem was waiting in line for two hours. It might be different if you're not in the capital though, not sure.

> Its not the ITs job to obtain them either. Its your ISs requirement, not
> the ITs, you dont have to appoint and they dont have to apply, accept or
> entertain you.

No, it's not the ITs job to obtain them, but it's not the ISs job either (they have to be requested by person in question, so an IS wouldn't be able to get them anyway).
If the IT wants a job at an IS that requires them (and all of the schools I've worked at except the first one required them), it's smart to get one before you leave the country when departing. Otherwise you might be able to get one through the embassy of the relevant country, but others might know for sure.
At one of my previous schools, the school actually arranged a trip (bus and a local staff member to cut through the red tape) for all the departing teachers to the police station to get a police certificate.
cms989

Post by cms989 »

The problem is the checks usually need to be recent, so getting them before you go is only good for your next job.
secondplace

Post by secondplace »

In terms of police clearances I would suggest you should get them every time you leave a country for good. That way you'll have as complete a picture as possible that lines up chronologically.

Getting this done retrospectively can be a real hassle.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

cms989 wrote:
> The problem is the checks usually need to be recent, so getting them before
> you go is only good for your next job.

If I have a check from Country A that covers the time I lived there, a check from country B that covers the time I worked there, and a check from country C that is both recent/current and covers my time there, that includes a recent check (Country C) as well as all the others.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@sid

Like I would ever give up working for DODEA to work for @Sid.

@Heliotrope

Yes, there are many counties that you can get a CRB.
CRB being the previous term for Criminal Records Bureau which merged with the ISA (Independent Safeguarding Authority) to become the DBS (Disclosure and Barring service) but has remained as a general term regarding criminal records and background checks.
Im sure that as @Sid claimed there are locations where it would not be possible to get a CRB without proving residency, but that number of locations is very very small, so small as to be almost trivial and insignificant.

@cms989

I concur with @Thames Pirate, typically CRBs will need to cover the time spent in the country. If you have a continuity of successive locations each one accounting for the time spent in country and the time line is consecutive and whole, you dont have to go back and renew them every year to be recent.
Of course this can be manipulated. An IT in location X for 2 years relocates to location Y, gets in trouble, and then ghosts the experience in location Y and goes back to location X and gets a new CRB with a recent date that covers the time in location Y. It now looks like the IT just spent a longer time in location X, and the CRB reinforces this.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

> Yes, there are many counties that you can get a CRB.
> CRB being the previous term for Criminal Records Bureau which merged with
> the ISA (Independent Safeguarding Authority) to become the DBS (Disclosure
> and Barring service) but has remained as a general term regarding criminal
> records and background checks.

CBR, now DSB is the institution that provides the service. The service is the DBS check, which can lead to a certificate.

> Im sure that as @Sid claimed there are locations where it would not be
> possible to get a CRB without proving residency, but that number of
> locations is very very small, so small as to be almost trivial and
> insignificant.

In all countries where I've worked, the certificate could only cover the time you lived in the country.
every single time it went like this:
1. I ask for a certificate
2. They look up in their system how long I've been in the country
3. They issue the certificate for that period
There was no instance where I could determine the dates on the certificate. Airplane tickets are not proof of anything during the process.

It might be different is a few other countries.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

It is not "DSB". CRB is a generic term for a criminal record and background check.

Our experiences differ.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

> It is not "DSB".

Yes, DBS, typo.

> Our experiences differ.

Yes, they do.
Walter

Post by Walter »

Dear Dave is playing "Second Life" again:

@sid

Like I would ever give up working for DODEA to work for @Sid.

@dave

Like you ever worked for DODEA.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@Walter

Yeah, because I do.