Is only using Search Associates a mistake?

DomeVet

Is only using Search Associates a mistake?

Post by DomeVet »

Is only using Search Associates a mistake or am I really missing out by not using other services? If yes, is it because of missing out on specific posted vacancies or just having my resume and profile activated with another service for potential employers to view. And if so, which other services should I be using? I've been teaching for 20 years and know of other services and have old accounts but with not an abundance of time I'm wondering which services I should focus my attention on.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

SA repps the biggest database of ISs on the circuit. ISS is second, and if coin isnt an issue there will be overlap but there are ISs that are exclusive to one over the other. Then youve got TIE which is a nominal fee $39, TES is free, but heavy on BSs. Then you have Joy jobs ($39) which is small and CIS.

Most Iss that arent lower third tier, dont often search through candidate profiles. Its easier to sort though applications made to the IS. So unless your a superstar IT or the IS is a sinker, you arent missing much if anything from recruiters or leadership searching for you. What you are mostly missing is posted vacancies from which you arent applying for because you dont know they exist.
bounty

Re: Is only using Search Associates a mistake?

Post by bounty »

Yes it is in my opinion.
I used Search and got no job offers, despite messaging multiple schools.

I think most schools are moving to agencies now as they can recruit multiple staff in 1 swoop. Also all the agencies have the references and leg work done for the school, so schools prefer them too. I went to one interview for a school and they interviewed all the staff for posts in 1 day through an agency.

TES is very expensive. I heard 1 advert costs 1000 pounds a week?
Teacher Horizons gets good reviews and Teach anywhere offered me a list of schools and I had 5 interviews in 1 week. They have a mixed bag of schools, but lots of good ones too. You need to keep your options open. It can be competitive and everyone wants business done before Xmas.

The best bet is to join a few agencies and maybe direct to the odd schools. I always find getting a job is a bit like Pontoon. You can twist, twist, twist on a school, but could go bust and lose a good school. I weigh up my best option and location on offer and just make a decision.

Good luck.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

As with anything, it depends. Pretty much all the big name schools use Search. If your resume/references are weak, though, you might be targeting a wider range than is covered by Search. Some of these might be listed with an agency, while others might not. But as most of these can be found through googling, you might just be losing some time in your search. Depending on how much time you would spend googling and how you value it, you might be fine with just Search.

In other words your goals and expectations will significantly affect the answer to your original question.
sid

Post by sid »

I have to disagree with Bounty. Few schools are outsourcing their hiring to agencies, and I doubt the better schools will take it up in any real numbers. Hiring is more than a tickbox exercise, and it's dangerous to hand it over to someone with no skin in the game.
As for Search and the OP, it's hard to say. Your biggest database is right there with Search, bob's your uncle, but what if your dream job is one you never even knew about listed with some other agency? Opportunity cost is real!
Carney Sandoe is another free one that often gets quality listings not seen on Search.
MartElla

Post by MartElla »

Search is the most comprehensive option.

Search + ISS = job done.

Any schools that use neither of them should (mostly, not always) be viewed suspiciously.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

MartElla wrote:

> Any schools that use neither of them should (mostly, not always) be viewed
> suspiciously.

Not at all! There are schools that can fill their staffing without listing at all, schools that are great but can't afford the expensive memberships, and small schools where one vacancy a year does not warrant paying the fees to an agency.

Places like Oslo, Trieste, and Iceland come to mind. *Note that it is possible they are listed with ISS; I am not with them and cannot access their database.
Frenchie

Post by Frenchie »

TES has some really good schools on there. I wouldn't discount them at all. They have been the one place where I have gotten the most responses, even if a no.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

If all you do is use Search to 'message' schools, you are using it wrong. You use Search for their data base and then you apply to the schools, letting them know your data is on Search.

Search is a recruitment agency - and most schools are not moving to agencies. Schools that use small recruiters don't want to pay Search and most of them are not great schools. Note the qualifier - most. Agencies are often one or two people who really pay nothing to scout and then get a fee if they find a candidate - a cheaper fee than Search. Pretty much everybody I know uses Search, although I also recommend TIEonline as a secondary aggregator.

bounty wrote:
> Yes it is in my opinion.
> I used Search and got no job offers, despite messaging multiple schools.
>
> I think most schools are moving to agencies now as they can recruit
> multiple staff in 1 swoop. Also all the agencies have the references and
> leg work done for the school, so schools prefer them too. I went to one
> interview for a school and they interviewed all the staff for posts in 1
> day through an agency.
>
> TES is very expensive. I heard 1 advert costs 1000 pounds a week?
> Teacher Horizons gets good reviews and Teach anywhere offered me a list of
> schools and I had 5 interviews in 1 week. They have a mixed bag of schools,
> but lots of good ones too. You need to keep your options open. It can be
> competitive and everyone wants business done before Xmas.
>
> The best bet is to join a few agencies and maybe direct to the odd schools.
> I always find getting a job is a bit like Pontoon. You can twist, twist,
> twist on a school, but could go bust and lose a good school. I weigh up my
> best option and location on offer and just make a decision.
>
> Good luck.
GrumblesMcGee

Post by GrumblesMcGee »

I can write (and have written) a lot more about this.

The answer is simple: yes.
DomeVet

Post by DomeVet »

It looks like Schrole has merged with ISS. Are there any advantages to this? Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with this?
GrumblesMcGee

Post by GrumblesMcGee »

DomeVet wrote:
> It looks like Schrole has merged with ISS. Are there any advantages to
> this? Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with this?

I had a very good experience with ISS-Schrole.

They have a good database (consensus is that Search's is more robust), good fairs, and are far less distasteful than Search. As a somewhat outside-the-box IT, I needed a little more inside knowledge / advice than some, and ISS was extremely helpful on that front. Search was completely silent, and several people I met at fairs had similar experiences (this actually prompted me to follow up officially with multiple people at Search, and we'll be writing an article about it).

Ironically, Search (deceptively) fashions itself as an "executive" / hands-on agency that is there to help you with your job hunt, telling you that you have access to a team of "associates," but I found ISS actually fits that bill more than Search. And for less money. And with a bit more institutional commitment (although to be fair, some people have had issues with ISS not backing them up, too).

So, advantages and disadvantages:

Cost: ISS-Schrole (< 40% the cost, and you keep your access even after you're hired)
Responsiveness: ISS-Schrole
Institutional Commitment: ISS-Schrole
Database Size: Search (there is some overlap, and there are some exclusive ISS and exclusive Search schools)
Fairs: Slight Edge to Search (both have major fairs)

In the end, it comes down to your FOMO and/or willingness to give Search ~$225 of your money (and a big commission) for database access. I wish more people would stand up to Search, but I get that some are willing to hold their noses.
DomeVet

Post by DomeVet »

It looks like ISS has a separate website from ISS-Schrole too. What's going on?
Am I going to have to redo my Schrole profile from scratch on ISS-Schrole?
chiliverde

Post by chiliverde »

On Search, I have been told that I am assigned to an associate within the UK office, and so don't have to pay the fee each time. Does anyone know what this is about?
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

@GrumblesMcGee

Assuming you're right and ISS-Schrole scores better at both responsiveness & at backing teachers, the reason not many teachers would stand up to Search or switch agencies is probably because for almost everybody it's not an issue: most just register, use the database, possibly go to a fair, get a job, end of story.

I've used Search, but had the luck of having a responsive associate, and not having the need for Search to back me up as there was no dispute with the school.

I'm not against trying ISS-Schrole next time, but looking at the list of attending school for their fairs, the quality and quantity of the schools attending the Search fair was a lot better than the ones slated to attend the ISS-Schrole fair.

Still, it would be good if Search would improve their service to teachers, and the stories I've heard about some associates makes me wonder why Search doesn't do anything about it.