Finally found an IT position!!

Frenchie

Finally found an IT position!!

Post by Frenchie »

Hey all,
After months! of looking and applying to well over 65 schools!! Lots of reject letters, some initial interviews and let downs, I finally got a job that I am very happy about. I'm also 55 and it's tough out there. I finally accepted a teaching position in Italy. I am over the moon as this is where I wanted to go all along. Even though I was a member of both Search and Schrole, I found it on TES. I am happy with the salary, I probably will not save any $ (we are a family of 4) but that's okay. I am moving to Italy!! I will be either a Year 4 or 5 teacher with ICT coordinator responsibilities. Don't give up!! Things will happen.
FV2020

Re: Finally found an IT position!!

Post by FV2020 »

Congrats, Frenchie! that's great to hear.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

65 applications, I admire your tenacity. I'm happy for you that your hard work paid off.
Congrats with your job!
Helen Back

Post by Helen Back »

Congrats. Your job will be very similar to mine (different country though).
Frenchie

Post by Frenchie »

@heliotrope - I know - embarrassing - 65 (actually it was way more) but I'll keep that one to myself!! - I was always wondering what wasn't clicking. After the acceptance, more yes we want you letters started coming in - you know what they say, once you have a job, the offers start coming.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

@Frenchie

That and its May.
Thames Pirate

Re: Response

Post by Thames Pirate »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @Frenchie
>
> That and its May.

Oh, for crying out loud. Can't you just be happy for someone?

Frenchie, congratulations! I hope it's everything you wanted and more.
Frenchie

Post by Frenchie »

Hey, Europe is still heavily recruiting. I would have pushed on through summer. Who cares! It's a very decent school.
GrumblesMcGee

Congrats!

Post by GrumblesMcGee »

I wish you the best in Italy!

It's true that the application process can be a soul-crushing grind. I admire you for sticking with it. If I had approached that number of applications, I probably would've just quit. After a few weeks where I wasn't getting results (lack of follow-up, relatively few interviews), I had to reassess. I suspected the IT market would be less "responsive" than I'm used to, as my previous field is somewhat narrow and I'm particularly selective when it comes to only targeting jobs I think I'm a front-runner for. When things were starting to worry me, I contacted someone from ISS who had been helpful and friendly in person. We chatted about things and she was a bit surprised I wasn't being flooded with offers, so she asked what schools I was looking at and within a few days I had multiple emails from recruiters. So maybe it's "who you know" with some parts of this circle.
Frenchie

Post by Frenchie »

@grumbles - thx for that advice - I did converse with my Search Associate at one point and she really couldn't understand other than I was a family of 3 and my age - oh well, I was a bit picky about places, but I am hoping I position myself for the next IT placement somewhere else.