Location, Location, Location!

PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

No, job and occupation are not the same or equal. Im not grasping at straws (why would I want straws, you know how bad they are for the ocean and environment), its how words possess a degree of precision, its how they work.

No, it will be tier 1 IS until it is no longer a tier 1 IS, then it will be referenced by the tier it occupies. There is no such thing as a tier 1 IS thats functioning as a tier 2 IS, its a tier 1 IS or its a tier 2 IS. The same for a tier 2 IS, there is no such state of a tier 2 IS functioning as a tier 1 IS, if it does than it is.
Thames Pirate

Re: Reply

Post by Thames Pirate »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @Heliotrope
>
> Having conducted exhaustive research and interviews and having discussed
> extensively with ITs past and present at tier 1 ISs, tier 1 ISs do not
> become mediocre ISs, if that were true they would no longer be tier 1 ISs.
> Were tier 2 ISs to grow out of tier 2 than they would be tier 1 ISs. Saying
> otherwise is nutter TPF talk.

Exhaustive research?

Hahaha!

Where you are right is that if Tier 1 schools become mediocre, they would no longer be Tier 1. Yet somehow they are never taken off the list, and schools that have grown to surpass them in actual quality are rarely acknowledged as Tier 1s. Nobody is claiming mediocre schools are ACTUALLY Tier 1, but that they are CONSIDERED Tier 1. So it still keeps being mentioned as Tier 1 based on reputation alone.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

They arent taken off the tier 1 list because they are tier 1 ISs and have not become mediocre. There are no tier 2 ISs that have surpassed them, if they did they would be tier 1 ISs. Tier 1 ISs are CONSIDERED tier 1 ISs because they are, thats why they are on the tier 1 list.
Thames Pirate

Re: Location, Location, Location!

Post by Thames Pirate »

Since we aren't mentioning specific schools, I wonder how you can say they haven't been taken off the list and haven't become mediocre.

There are schools that should not be listed that are and schools that are not well known or are considered Tier 2 that are actually "golden ticket" in terms of location, package, and work environment.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

There are no ISs that should not be listed but are, the tier 1 ISs are the tier 1 ISs because they belong there. Golden ticket isnt a tier, but there are no tier 2 ISs that should be tier 1 ISs, they are tier 2 because they are tier 2.
Location isnt a factor in tier status (the elite designation being the exception, but its a distinction within the first tier), all regions have tier 1, 2 and 3 ISs.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Whatever you say, oh Keeper of the List. Your percentage argument is actually in direct opposition to this claim.
mysharona

Post by mysharona »

and to think I had seen it all
Heliotrope

Re: Reply

Post by Heliotrope »

PsyGuy wrote:
> No, job and occupation are not the same or equal. Im not grasping at straws

job
/dʒɒb/ noun
1. a paid position of regular employment.

occupation
/ɒkjʊˈpeɪʃ(ə)n/ noun
1. a job or profession.

And just for good measure:

profession
/prəˈfɛʃ(ə)n/ noun
1. a paid occupation, especially one that involves prolonged training and a formal qualification.

PsyGuy wrote:
> No, it will be tier 1 IS until it is no longer a tier 1 IS, then it will be
> referenced by the tier it occupies. There is no such thing as a tier 1 IS
> thats functioning as a tier 2 IS, its a tier 1 IS or its a tier 2 IS. The
> same for a tier 2 IS, there is no such state of a tier 2 IS functioning as
> a tier 1 IS, if it does than it is.

I literally said: "People will still refer to it as tier 1 because it had that designation for so long it has become an assumption that it will always be that way, where some of those schools would be considered tier 2 when given the proper scrutiny."
and "And the same goes for schools that are regarded as tier 2, but have grown and matured to the point where they should be considered tier 1, given the same scrutiny."

I'm saying that reputation doesn't always match reality, and some schools profit from their former glory, while others aren't given a honest assessment because they lack former glory. The first kind is tier 2 but people might still think it's tier 1, the second kind is tier 1, but some people still think it's tier 2 (if they've heard about it at all).
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

But I'll stop replying now, because we're well past the point where any of this is relevant and we're now just making people wonder if we have lives outside this forum. And given that you're in such a great location, it's a shame you spent so much time on here. And the same goes for me.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

No it doesnt, the percentages dont dictate the size of tiers, the percentages reflect the reality of the tiers size.

@mysharona

I thought the same thing, its like explaining to a pair of toddlers how a zebra isnt a horse.

@Heliotrope

Good to hear you agree they have different definitions, because they arent the same thing.

AND Im saying the reputation matches the reality.
MartElla

Post by MartElla »

PsyGuy, Caracas is not safe by almost any measure. Do you want anecdotal evidence? I've plenty about it being dangerous for expats, as have many, many others. Being held up at gunpoint is not a unlikely occurrence if you are there for a year or two. Or do you go by the data? Which data are you using? Even the data we have is unlikely to convey the true reality as there's been a breakdown in all services in recent years, including those relating to security. It was dangerous ten years ago, more dangerous five years ago and now...hey, if Caracas is safe then, outside of combat zones, then where isn't safe? Even under Chavez, Caracas was known for the "Secuestro Express". It's got worse since then.

Care to present a case that Caracas is one of the world's safe cities?
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

You have repeatedly claimed that there is a percentage breakdown

Here a sample quote:
"Elite Tier: Top schools in the first tier usually 1-2 schools.
1st Tier: The top 5%
2nd Tier: 75%-95%
3rd Tier: Bottom 75%"

However, if 9 out of 10 schools all have amazing pay, working conditions, etc. and there is very little to choose between them, are they all Tier 1? That would be what you are arguing now, but would contradict your earlier and frequent claim of percentages. If it's simply based on who was there first, that would contradict your current claim that it's based completely on the quality of the school.

So which is it?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@MartElla

Being held up at gun point is not an unlikely occurrence in New York City or Los Angeles if youre there for a year or two.
Well combat zones.
No I dont care to present a case that Caracas is one of the world's safe cities, but thats not what my position was. Im heading to Venezuela though this summer for some beach time.

@Thames Pirate

Because there is a percentage breakdown.
No, because 9 out of 10 schools DO NOT have amazing pay, working conditions, etc.
Nothing to do with first.
Neither, thats not how rank ordering works.
10 ISs with quality scores of 99.9 too 99.0, the 1 IS with 99.9 is first tier, the 2 at 99.8 and 99.7 are second tier, the rest are third tier. The 1st tier IS with 99.9 is BETTER than the 2 in the second tier below it because thats how BETTER works. Its based on quality of the ISs because the IS with 99.9 is BETTER quality than the ones below it with 99.8 and 99.7. That distribution roughly approximates the tier percentage brackets for whole units (5%, 20%, 75%). Thats how rank ordering works. Doesnt matter if you win by an inch or a mile winning is winning.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

Wow, now there is math to the 10th of a percentage point involved? Because people score the schools that closely based on a clearly standardised rubric . . . . Oh, wait. The List is based entirely on your perception.

I'll say what I said elsewhere. Nobody buys your nonsense. You also failed to answer the question.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

Its an example how quantities and rank ordering works.
I answered it, and the answer was neither, @Thames Pirate doesnt dictate what the answer options are.
Again, more TPF.