Location, Location, Location!

Heliotrope

Re: Reply

Post by Heliotrope »

@PsyGuy

Sad to hear that you don't enjoy your work. Perhaps you should find another line of work that suits you better, or a school where you would enjoy it.

I enjoy my work very much, and the school I'm at is part of why I do so.
I also enjoy my time outside the school, and that's why the location still matters to me, but it's not at the very top of my list of priorities. I wouldn't accept a job in Caracas, but there are still many cities that I would find interesting enough to explore. Thats why I'd rather work at a great school in Dakar than at a crappy school in Tokyo, but I'd choose that crappy school in Tokyo over a great school in Damascus.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

Its work, if it was fun and entertainment than Id be paying them.
I greatly enjoy my time out of work, its not work, and I live in an amazing city. Its at the top of my list of priorities. My location makes the worst days at work bearable, it makes the easy days almost feel like work isnt really work at all.

Caracas aside from the issues is a beautiful region, lot of fun to be had there. Id much rather work at a horrible IS in Tokyo, than a great IS in Dakar, because at least Tokyo is Tokyo.

We just disagree.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

Yes, it's work, but that doesn't mean you can't still enjoy it.
I'm very glad I found a career where I actually feel happy while at work, given the right school.

And yes, Caracas would be an interesting place to live if it was safe. So tragic that it's in shambles right now.
And for ITs it was always a good option when interested in Latin America, one of few.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Thames Pirate

Yes they do stay good, and yes actually it ill. A lot of the meds/peds/asst from the 70s and 80s is stillt h prevailing cited literature. There isnt a lot in edu thats new and revolutionary. No its doesnt mean that they are outdated, its means their classical and traditional. Established does mean good, thats what established means.

@Heliotrope

If your enjoying it than its not work, its a hobby youve monetized.
I feel happy at work as well, but its not because of the work.

Its actually safe, not as safe and comfortable as it could be. Its also a lot better the further you get out of Caracas.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

PsyGuy wrote:
> If your enjoying it than its not work, its a hobby youve monetized.

No, it's still work if you enjoy it. Work is: 'being employed in a specified occupation or field' and 'to fulfill duties (legal obligations) regularly for wages or salary'. The fact that I enjoy it doesn't change that.

> Its actually safe, not as safe and comfortable as it could be. Its also a
> lot better the further you get out of Caracas.

It's more the possibility of a violent civil war that would keep me from working in Caracas right now. That, and being very happy where I am right now of course. But even before Maduro, the city was hardly safe, and there was a sizeable part of the city that you had to avoid. It's been in the top 3 on the 'list of cities by murder rate' for many years. In 2017 it was at #2: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... urder_rate
PsyGuy

Re: Location, Location, Location!

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

No its not, we disagree.

Ive been in regions on the tip of civil conflict, I was in Bangkok when the coup happened, didnt even know until it as over. Civil conflict effects the locals, not so much the expats. Yeah but thats Caracas, and according to your wiki list 3 of the top 5 are mostly Mexico, and I wouldnt say dont go to Mexico. Even a US city makes the top 15.
Im heading to Venezuela this summer for some beach time, will see how it goes.
Heliotrope

Re: Location, Location, Location!

Post by Heliotrope »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @Heliotrope
>
> No its not, we disagree.
>
> Ive been in regions on the tip of civil conflict, I was in Bangkok when the
> coup happened, didnt even know until it as over. Civil conflict effects the
> locals, not so much the expats. Yeah but thats Caracas, and according to
> your wiki list 3 of the top 5 are mostly Mexico, and I wouldnt say dont go
> to Mexico. Even a US city makes the top 15.
> Im heading to Venezuela this summer for some beach time, will see how it
> goes.

You're welcome to disagree with the established definition on 'work'.

Yes, most likely expats won't be affected, most locals will be ok as well. But ITs with options will prefer not to risk it, as sometimes expats ARE affected. And with kids, I wouldn't risk it when I have plenty of safer and equally (or more) interesting cities to choose from. Also, some ISs might be affected, and I rather wouldn't work at a school that might go down in the fallout of the turmoil.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

W=F/A, established by @Heliotrope, yes I disagree.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

I didn't come up with those definitions of what work is, dictionaries did (well, the people that work there).
It's sad to hear that you think people can't enjoy their work - you should really quit your job and try to find one you would enjoy.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

The universe came up with W=F/A

Definitions arent created by employees that work for dictionary publishers.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

Good luck telling all the people that enjoy their jobs that they're not working.
Let's see how many believe you.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

I dont need to tell anyone anything, and their belief is immaterial to me.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

> I dont need to tell anyone anything, and their belief is immaterial to me.

You though I actually meant for you to literally tell all the people that enjoy their jobs that they're not working?
Rest assured, it was just a stylistic device. No need to go outside and talk to people.

Well, your belief is immaterial to everyone but yourself.

What 99% of people will say is that if you perform agreed upon tasks, and you get paid an agreed upon amount of money for it, it's work, even if you enjoy it.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

What 99% of people will agree on is that if you enjoy doing a task its not work.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @Heliotrope
>
> What 99% of people will agree on is that if you enjoy doing a task its not
> work.

Do you think (to keep it closer to home) that any of the ITs that enjoy their job would answer the question "What kind of work do you do?" with something like: "Actually, I don't work. I'm a teacher, but I enjoy it, so it's more a hobby that I get paid for"?
No, they will answer: "I'm a teacher".
Those dictionary definitions of 'work' don't exist in a vacuum, they're what the overwhelming majority people think 'work' is. That you disagree with them is irrelevant to everybody but yourself.