International Schools Review
Teachers Keeping Each Other Informed

Getting a real job at a real school without experience

Reply

Postby PsyGuy » Mon May 27, 2019 6:35 am

@Heliotrope

no Im not making an assumption Im making a conclusion based on data, which as you know is from experience, research and reliable and trusted data.

Thats not really true.
PsyGuy
 
Posts: 9249
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:51 am
Location: Northern Europe

Re: Reply

Postby Heliotrope » Mon May 27, 2019 6:54 am

PsyGuy wrote:
> Im making a conclusion based on data, which
> as you know is from experience, research and reliable and trusted data.
> Thats not really true.

So glad you're finally admitting it...
Heliotrope
 
Posts: 607
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 1:48 am

Re: Getting a real job at a real school without experience

Postby Thames Pirate » Mon May 27, 2019 8:47 am

Here we go with the fictional data again . . . .

Look, we all know that being credentialed in more than one subject, particularly in more than one hard-to-fill subject in which one has actual degrees or experience, is helpful. Everyone knows you collect credentials like Beanie Babies and use them for about as much. That's why people agree that when it comes to getting a credential, you're the expert. When it comes to most other things, though, you have a tendency to post BS or even outright lies.

The reality is that if it had been anyone other than me or a select other few suggesting getting the econ credential, you would have agreed or ignored. But because I suggested it, you had to disagree even though your prior position (and apparently corroborated by your actions) has always been that it is better to have licensure in more than one area.

But again, I think the OP and any reasonable reader can tell that it is better to have both. Any regular reader knows that when PsyGuy talks about his "trusted sources" and "data," he really means the BS he made up.
Thames Pirate
 
Posts: 1077
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:06 am

Re: Reply

Postby Illiane_Blues » Tue May 28, 2019 4:34 am

PsyGuy wrote:
> The issue isnt if there are maths ITs filling in on some type of basis
> teaching econ, its if they were recruitd for those roles, which they likely
> werent.

At both those schools the Math-Econ ITs (0.5/0.5) were recruited in those roles.
Illiane_Blues
 
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:56 pm

Reply

Postby PsyGuy » Fri May 31, 2019 3:30 am

@Heliotrope

No, your assumption that "the schools were quite happy to hire someone who can teach more than 1 subject, allowing the school some flexibility when making future schedules." isnt really true.

@Thames Pirate

No the only made up data is yours. I only post from experience, research, and reliable and trusted sources, not of it is fabricated like yours is.

As written before additional credentials does not mean being cross credentialed. Economics and maths are not generally cross credentialed. Having more credentials dos not create a relationship between them. Having additional credentials has value, but having cross curricular credentials has more value.

@Illiane_Blues

Always exceptions, artifacts, and outliers.
PsyGuy
 
Posts: 9249
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:51 am
Location: Northern Europe

Re: Reply

Postby Thames Pirate » Fri May 31, 2019 6:02 am

PsyGuy wrote:

> Having
> additional credentials has value, but having cross curricular credentials
> has more value.

I have no idea what it means, but I look forward to your verbal pretzel game as you try and explain it.
Thames Pirate
 
Posts: 1077
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:06 am

Comment

Postby PsyGuy » Fri May 31, 2019 6:25 am

@Thames Pirate

To be added to the list of thinks @Thames Pirate dosnt know.
PsyGuy
 
Posts: 9249
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:51 am
Location: Northern Europe

Re: Reply

Postby Heliotrope » Fri May 31, 2019 8:43 pm

PsyGuy wrote:
> @Heliotrope
>
> No, your assumption that "the schools were quite happy to hire someone
> who can teach more than 1 subject, allowing the school some flexibility
> when making future schedules." isnt really true.


But it is.
If an IS can hire someone who can teach Math, or someone who can teach Math and Econ, all other things being equal, the second candidate will give them more options.
I've seen colleagues who were hired to teach one subject at some point being asked to teach their second subject for a year or longer to make a schedule work. It makes sense that it would be an asset to be credentialed in more than one subject, especially when applying at small to midsize schools.
Heliotrope
 
Posts: 607
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 1:48 am

Re: Reply

Postby Illiane_Blues » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:19 am

PsyGuy wrote:
> As written before additional credentials does not mean being cross
> credentialed. Economics and maths are not generally cross credentialed.
> Having more credentials dos not create a relationship between them. Having
> additional credentials has value, but having cross curricular credentials
> has more value.

Why would a school care if you teach Math/History, or Math/Physics?
As long as your references for both are good.
I know from experience schools hire all sorts of combinations, it's all about what vacancies they have.
The reason you'll see more Math/Physics teachers is because there are more people that have those two degrees around, not because schools prefer the subjects to be 'related'.
At my schools I've seen all kids of combinations being hired: Music/Physics, Art/Maths, PE/History, etc.
I don't agree 'related' credentials are more valuable, I've seen and read enough to conclude to know schools really don't care. All they want is good teachers and fill their vacancies.

Either way, getting the Econ credential would be a good thing, as it improves marketability.
Illiane_Blues
 
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:56 pm

Re: Reply

Postby Heliotrope » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:42 am

We have a PE/History IT at our school!
I wonder if it's the same person? (blond, curly hair, in her 40's, has the loudest most infectious laugh I've ever heard)
Heliotrope
 
Posts: 607
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 1:48 am

Re: Reply

Postby Illiane_Blues » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:54 am

Heliotrope wrote:
> We have a PE/History IT at our school!
> I wonder if it's the same person? (blond, curly hair, in her 40's, has the
> loudest most infectious laugh I've ever heard)

No, different is almost all ways: male, dark straight hair, normal laugh I'd say, and probably in his early 50s but could be late 40s.
Illiane_Blues
 
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:56 pm

Reply

Postby PsyGuy » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:18 am

@Heliotrope

But it isnt.
ISs dont schedule like that, additional credentials are worth something but they dont equate to cross curricular appointments that are schedule-able.

@Illiane_Blues

Because ISs dont schedule that way. They want the best they can get for whatever they are hiring for, the best being the most recent experience. References arent a factor.
No there arent, its a maths IT is more compatible it the required skill set to teach physics than it is for a history IT.
Again, additional credentials which are valuable is not as valuable as having cross curricular credentials.
PsyGuy
 
Posts: 9249
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:51 am
Location: Northern Europe

Re: Reply

Postby Heliotrope » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:25 am

What makes Maths/Physics more schedulable than (for example) Maths/History?

I've seen multiple school schedule like that, so you're mistaken when you say they don't.
Some might not, but some do.

And I don't want to reply on @Iliana_Blues' behalf, but the references she's referring to can be from the most recent IS. References are part of how the school finds out if you're the best for the job. And the Maths/History candidate can be the best.
It's not that hard to have the skill set to teach both.
Heliotrope
 
Posts: 607
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 1:48 am

Reply

Postby PsyGuy » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:43 am

@Heliotrope

I havent, I cant recall in this recruiting cycle or last a maths/history vacancy, and if there is such a unicorn its a drop in the ocean of the maths/physics paired vacancies.

No references, tell an IS if your a good employee or not.
PsyGuy
 
Posts: 9249
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:51 am
Location: Northern Europe

Re: Reply

Postby Heliotrope » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:23 am

PsyGuy wrote:
> No references, tell an IS if your a good employee or not.

That's how you try to get a job? You don't give them references, but just tell them to trust you that you're a good employee?
Do you usually add that you obtained this information from 'reliable and trusted sources', but that you will not supply them with these sources?
Heliotrope
 
Posts: 607
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 1:48 am

PreviousNext

Return to Forum 1. From Questions About ISS & Search to Anything and Everything About International Teaching

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests