FTCE Exams - Teacher Ready

SideOut

FTCE Exams - Teacher Ready

Post by SideOut »

Hi everyone,

I am finishing up the TeacherReady program this month. The next step for me is to take the FTCE exams (Florida DOE exams). As I'm currently working overseas, I'll be returning to the U.S. for a few weeks this summer to take them. I want to make sure that I pass the exams on the first try, since it would be very inconvenient to have to go back again a few months later.

From what I've heard, the FTCE exams were made much more difficult around 2015, and the passing rate has dropped significantly. I've taken a few sample tests online (short, condensed versions) and they don't seem that difficult; however, I have a feeling they might not be representative of the level of the actual exams.

I will be taking the General Knowledge Test (Essay, English Language Skills, Reading, and Mathematics subtests), Professional Education Exam, and Elementary Education K-6 (Language Arts and Reading, Social Science, Science, and Mathematics subtests).

A couple of questions:

1. Has anyone taken the exams recently (since 2015)? How did you find them?

2. What did you do to prepare (test study guide books, etc)? Would you take a different approach if you were doing them again?

Thank you!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

The FTCE sample tests are based on current content and standards, they arent outdated material but accurately reflect current conditions. They have been content correlated to other major DOE exams such at the PRAXIS, but thats because 2015 (and coming up in 2020, the majority of credentialing exams were updated and they did get harder.

I only studied for one exam in my entire career (and it was dance) all the others I took cold, without prep and passed on my first attempt. Im probably not a reflective example of the typical experience though.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: FTCE Exams - Teacher Ready

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

I took most of them a long time ago. I took the SPED Subject Area test a couple of years ago to get credit for re-certification (I'm lucky enough to have access to an overseas military base and could take it online through the Education Center) and found it pretty easy.

There is a board on Teachers.net for FL teachers and most posts seem to be about the tests. You might check it out and post some questions there:
https://teachers.net/states/fl/
cms989

Re: FTCE Exams - Teacher Ready

Post by cms989 »

The Professional Education exam does require some study because the answers align to Florida's standards, and they intentionally make some of the wrong answers be more intuitive to what you think you should do in a certain scenario (the questions give a scenario and then your response to that scenario in multiple choice). IIRC I used Cliff's notes. The most helpful thing was to identify which standard the question was asking about (it is asking about one only) and then eliminate any answer that does not match that standard. That usually leaves you with two answers.

I'd also recommend studying for that exam because you cannot take it abroad, so if you fail you have to return to the U.S. again. The general knowledge exam can be replaced by the GRE, but note if you transfer your license in the future you might have to take that state's general knowledge exam because you have nothing to transfer over.

For the general knowledge exam I would be careful on the writing portion, they want a specific style of writing. Best to study that a bit.