Post by swbaggies »

Good afternoon,
I am after some information and guidance surrounding the
best approach to take for me moving forward. I am looking at the
TeachNow and Sunderland route and as such does anyone have any
experience or suggestions to assist me. I am British and currently live
in Thailand working within a low-level Cambridge Curriculum IS and have
done so for two years (primary level).
I have a BaHons in a Criminology and Criminal Justice. My goals are to move to a higher level IS within
Thailand as well as obtaining QTS and returning to the UK. I also aim to
persevere with Primary age rather than subject specific secondary.

What would you feel is the better option, as well as pluses and minuses
for both options?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Well you could end up with QTS through either route. First, in general the defining limitation between the different options is your access to a classroom, you have that so you dont have limitations.

If you go the Teach Now route recent evidence is that youll have to transition the DC credential to either HI or CA. HI will take 3 years (a year longer than CA), but CA will require more testing and a CRB. The alternative is you will have to make some minor misrepresentations on your QTS application (mainly you will have to select an EPP/ITT provider, other than Teach Now or the Educator School of Education). The Teach Now route will give you a fully valid (DC, professional grade) credential when you complete the program, similar to the same length and cost (the PGCEi is about 50% more than the Teach Now program) of the Sunderland PGCEi (the PGCE IDL). The Nottingham PGCEi is an equivalent cost to the Teach Now program.
You can however obtain a US credential though HI after 3 years if you pursue the Sunderland PGCEi. However, you wont have a professional edu credential during those time periods and the risk assessment is worse with the PGCEi route than with the Teach Now route, but after obtaining the HI standard (professional grade) credential you will be able to obtain QTS.
Regardless of your pathway you will have full QTS (currently with no induction), however that might change in 2020, with one of the supported changes being that OTTs will no longer be exempt from induction but will be considered NQTs, thats not assured to happen, it depends what other changes are instituted, one of them is that QTS will become subject and age specific, much like specific credentials are issued in the US. Another change may be the requirement for PD.

The best route is to go through Teach Now, so that you get a credential at the end of the year, then apply for QTS (and claiming your DC credential was earned through an EPP/ITT provider other than one of the Teach Now entities), which you should be able to do before any changes are initiated in August of 2020. Then just let the DC credential expire. However, it has come to my attention that this pathway could be described by other major contributors at being "unethical, and immoral". Outside of that there is no opportunity to obtain QTS using one of those options in anything less than several years.
The AO route obtaining a PGCEi or the DC credential is going to require you to teach across more than one age group and a couple years of teaching experience which is comparable to the HI route (and without the AO program cost).
The most significant difference is that the Teach Now route gets you a professional credential after a year and the PGCEi gets you a half Masters qualification, that by itself is a working credential in lower tier ISs, that is going to be a challenge when moving up the tiers in IE (though there are ITs with PGCEi working in upper tier ISs). If your going to spend the same coin and time though a credential is a credential and a qualification that some might except as a credential is a significant difference.
swbaggies

Re: Teachnow or Sunderland?

Post by swbaggies »

Thank you for the fantastic response and the detail provided

So can you further clarify for me, am I right in thinking that I do the three years and then apply for the transition of the credentials from DC to HI on completion. If so what is the process for doing this?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@swbaggies

Yes, after you have completed the 3 years of K12/KS experience, post DC credentialing, which you will have had to document on HI form EX1000 from the employers. Once you have that you will apply for the HI standard (professional grade) credential using option D. Its a standard application process.