Canada/China Relations

Bellicose

Canada/China Relations

Post by Bellicose »

I am a Canadian teacher that has been offered a job working at an international schools in China. I will be moving with my wife and young daughter. Given the current political climate between the two countries. I want hear from those living or recently have lived, in China. Do you think this would be a wise move? Is it safe at the moment? I feel like a lowly international teacher would be pretty small potatoes in the grand scheme of things. There are after all, thousands of teachers from Canada currently working in China. I would love to hear your thoughts.
mysharona

Re: Canada/China Relations

Post by mysharona »

I am Canadian and have lived and taught in China for a long time, the current diplomatic dustup has had no noticeabe impact on my life.
Bellicose

Post by Bellicose »

Thanks for your reply. It's much appreciated. I just want to be sure that I am making the right decision. It feels like a bigger deal when it involves bringing an infant daughter.
teach321

Post by teach321 »

I'm from the US, not Canada but feel very safe in China. I work with a few Canadians and they have never mentioned feeling unsafe or unwelcome. I have 2 young kids and would never take them anywhere I felt unsafe. In your day to day life, you won't notice the political issues at all.
Bellicose

Post by Bellicose »

That's good to know. Thank you!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Political turmoil often means very little for ITs. The exception of course is when it doesnt and you find yourself in the middle of something. Really unless some bizarre scenario happens you will be perfectly safe and the political issues will be little more than background noise in the local news. Still its always advisable in any and all situations to have a go bag and an exit A and exit B strategy. Though your problems are more likely to involve your IS and that political environment than any political conflict or unrest that happens on a national scale.
Bellicose

Post by Bellicose »

You make some great points. Thanks! I feel more reassured.
Illiane_Blues

Post by Illiane_Blues »

Friends told me that around 6 (or 8?) years ago there was a huge surge in anti-US sentiment, so for a while it was sometimes risky to go to bars at night because drunk Chinese might target you because of your skin color.
But they wouldn't distinguish between Canadians, Europeans or Americans, as they wouldn't ask your nationality before trying to hit you.
There was also a time when Japanese were a target because of a flare-up in the Senkaku Islands dispute, and sushi restaurants, often with Chinese owners, had their windows thrown in, and Japanese brand cars would be vandalized.
Sometimes, around the time the National Congress of the CPC is held, the . will try to stir up anti-foreign sentiments, so the people's anger can be directed outwards instead of inwards.
These are rare exceptions though, 99,9% of expats will be perfectly fine.
With all the cameras everywhere and the advanced facial recognition, it might be one of the safer countries right now, at the cost of everyone's privacy and human rights of course.