Applying as an admin/teacher couple: How competitive are we?

Illiane_Blues

Re: Applying as an admin/teacher couple: How competitive are

Post by Illiane_Blues »

Heliotrope wrote:
> I've seen two or three teacher couples at my past schools who definitely would've
> been better off working at separate schools.

Know of 5 teacher couples who met each other at one of 'my' schools, and saw 3 couples break up.
marieh

Post by marieh »

Heliotrope wrote:
> Illiane_Blues wrote:
> > not working at the same school might even also be a good
> > thing.
>
> I've seen two or three teacher couples at my past schools who definitely would've
> been better off working at separate schools. But then again, I've seen it work plenty
> of times as well, even couples who worked in the same department, and one case where
> one of the was HoD for their department.
> The reason I suggested the 'two schools in one city' is to increase the chances of
> both getting hired at decent schools though.

This is a very interesting point. We work extremely well together (and have for a decade), but you're right - it would likely increase our hireability if we opened our search to different schools in the same city. I know that my chances of finding an AP/IB math position at the same school that's looking for a principal are smaller than if I were teaching, say, elementary.
mignash

Post by mignash »

As part of a teaching couple during our last Search hiring fair, schools weren't interested in us if they only had one opening. All of our interviews were based on there being openings for both of us. Several schools stated clearly that they weren't interested in the risk of one of us not being hired.